Mountain Hardwear Dry.Q Elite fabric

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was checking out the Mountain Hardwear website http://mountainhardwear.com and there was information about their new Dry.Q Elite fabric on the home page. There are other Dry.Q types, but Dry.Q Elite seems to be their top of the line.

MH claims that Dry.Q Elite is totally waterproof and extremely breathable, up to double many waterproof/breathable fabrics. There are videos on the website about this fabric. I saw some other articles on Google stating that MH took eVent fabric and did some modifications to make it more breathable. The creation was Dry.Q.

Just wondering if anyone has purchased any of the Dry.Q Elite apparel and can share their experiences. If not, I may just buy myself a jacket. My wife told me to buy myself a luxury hiking item for X-Mas, so this might be what I get.

thanks
Marty

looks luxurious!

Haven't seen this new fabric yet, but I've got a bit of garb that might win their "cash for clunkers" contest...definatley post a review if you select this for your luxury xmas gift.

Cost is luxurious for sure :eek::eek::eek: But as a heavy sweater, I'm curious to know if it really works. Eventually the prices will come down.

Tim

Luxurious indeed, Tim. Thankfully, some retailers/e-tailers are discounting them. REI, for example, is offering some of those products at approximately 30% discount: http://www.rei.com/search?query=dry.q+elite

Campmor, and others, offer selected discounts on line. Warning to all: some of the product reviews indicated funky sizing. I am probably going to REI to try them on, should I decide to go that route.

Haven't seen this new fabric yet, but I've got a bit of garb that might win their "cash for clunkers" contest...definatley post a review if you select this for your luxury xmas gift.

Sabrina, we should compare garb. That's why I think an upgrade may be in order. Will do a review for sure if I go this route.

Marty

Backpackinglight.com ran a series of tests on a bunch of new waterproof breathable jackets last month to see how all these new fabrics stack up, since it seems like almost every manufacturer this year has come out with something "twice as breathable as Gore-Tex!" Here's a link to the final part of the article (subscription required).

General findings for those not wanting to get the subscription: almost none of them were significantly more breathable than Gore-Tex. DryQ came out in the middle as about the same as Gore-Tex Pro Shell. Maybe over-imaginative marketing departments?

REI, for example, is offering some of those products at approximately 30% discount:

MSRP on some of these items is north of $400. At 70% of MSRP, it's still in the luxury price range ($280+). Maybe more like a BMW or Audi instead of a Bentley or a Rolls.

almost none of them were significantly more breathable than Gore-Tex. DryQ came out in the middle as about the same as Gore-Tex Pro Shell.

I'm shocked :eek:

The best I can do for winter is hike in a short-sleeve shirt with arm warmers which gives me maximum flexibility. Then I have to bring at least 1 change of shirts for when the (bulk of the) climbing is done, or I get above the trees.

Maybe over-imaginative marketing departments?

Who would have thunk it? :rolleyes:

Tim

MH dumped Gore and GoreTex products entirely, and went with the proprietary DryQ fabrics. Better profit margins and/or better performance?

MH dumped Gore and GoreTex products entirely, and went with the proprietary DryQ fabrics. Better profit margins and/or better performance?
Part of the game is to differentiate your products from the other similar products. One way is to use a [yet another] miracle fabric.

And of course, you can also claim that your miracle is better than the other guy's miracle...

Doug

Part of the article at BPL mentioned that eVent partnered with a bunch of companies to let the other companies use eVent under their own names, and apparently the DryQ is one of these. Must be some kind of difference, though, because I'd always heard eVent was more breathable than Gore-Tex. Either way, yeah... it sounds like companies are trying to get away from Gore-Tex to get more money. Fine by me, although I'm glad some folks are doing the research to show the miracle fabrics aren't necessarily miracles.

PataTex

Interesting that Patagonia returned to GoreTex with some of their products this year. I think that if you are confident that customer will buy a specific garment model, even with a higher markup, then it will be easier to use Gore Tex, because the fabric has lifetime warranty from Gore Technologies. Any warranted returns would just get sent to Gore and the manufacturer will get reimbursed.

Last edited:
Part of the game is to differentiate your products from the other similar products. One way is to use a [yet another] miracle fabric.

And of course, you can also claim that your miracle is better than the other guy's miracle...

Doug

At the end of the day:D, doesn't it all depend on whose Gore is oxed?

Thanks everyone for your fascinating perspectives, insight and wit.:cool:

I am now rethinking what my luxury item should be. Trust me: it will NOT be a luxury car with a red bow on it. Hate those commercials. Oops, sorry for the rant. :)

Marty