MSR Denali tail question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Reaction score
I recently purchased a pair of MSR Denali ascent snowshoes. I am trying to decide between the 4 or 8 inch tails. I weigh 190 lbs, typically hike on trails as well as bush whack, mostly day hikes but some winter camping trips. Pack weight is likely 30 + lbs day trips, 45 lbs overnight- So I'm generally wieghing in at 120 lbs +. All my hiking is in New England.

I am curious about peoples’ experiences and impressions with the flotation differences between the 4 & 8 inch tails. I understand condtions vary day to day and location- but in general what has worked best for people in the whites.... how accurate are these MSR weight recommendations?

up to 225 lbs: Denali Ascent
4" Tails up to 30" soft snow
8" tails for more than 30" ( I wish)

more than 225 lbs: 8" up to & greater than 30

(We also have a pair of more traditional of Sherpas which I love)

Thanks,
Marty

I have the 8" tails. I do notice that the shoe is no longer 'balanced'. Your weight is coming down forward of the center of the shoe, so the tail tends to flex a little. But I think they work very well.

IMHO, the 4" tails are not buying you very much. I've never actually used them. I weigh just a tad less than you do, for comparison purposes.

I love my Denalis, but I don't think flotation is their strong point. I'd go with the 8" tails

I have both the 4” & 8” tails for mine. I’ve found the 4” not to be adequate for me (170lbs with 30lb pack) in about 3’ of snow on steep terrain. I used up a lot of energy breaking trail and the shoes just didn’t seem to float, although neither did my hiking partners Tubbs. After that trip I bought the 8” tails (2 years ago), but haven’t had conditions that warranted there use yet, so I’m not sure how much better they float over the 4” tails.
On packed trails I generally don’t need to use the tails.

I'm 6'3" and 195#. I seem to recall, but I can't locate, a post (or PM - Sapblatt was it you?) which suggested the 8" tails restricted maneuverability too much, over the 4" tails, for the little step up in flotation. There are tons of threads on snowshoes, so you might search them for a while and see if you find anything useful. It boils down to what trails you plan to do -- popular ones are broken out early and you can get away with less shoe.

Tim

My opinion is that while the tails add some flotation, they do tend to result in tip dive. The bindings are positioned in the center of the snowshoe so that when the tails are added there is more flotation aft than forward, so the toe will sink deeper in deep soft snow. I have had this happen, even with the 4 in tails (I am relatively light ~135lbs + pack).

The MSRs are a small snowshoe (most seem to be these days...), best for denser snows, harder surfaces, and relatively packed trails. A larger snowshoe might be better for deep soft snow.

BTW, I think the MSR is a good match for typical NE conditions and has superb traction on crusty and icy surfaces. I have tails and have used them, but am unlikely to use (or carry) them very often in the future.

BTW2, I also have an old pair of 13x28 inch flat bearpaws which have more flotation and are better for trail breaking and step kicking in deep soft snow. However, these days most snowshoes are relatively small and narrow, so the broken-out trails are narrow trenches, which are awkward to travel in wider snowshoes.

Doug

Last edited:
i have the MSRs and bought the long tail - they do a nosedive while wearing the tail but that is what you have to live with for more flotation...
i usually dont use them in the winter though (MSRs are very solid with no flexible deck, very hard on the feet) i have worn them all day and they arent comfortable for more than a few hours - i like the tubbs altitude for comfort - - - as for flotation... i did an experiment on 3 feet of powder snow one day - the 25" sunk 1.5 feet - the 30 about 1 foot and the 36 about 1 foot - i then tried 48" traditional snowshoes and only sunk 1 inch with them (but you wouldnt want to climb in something that big) - - anyway - flotation doesnt significantly increase with the bigger shoes and the bigger only get in your way while climbing - i like 25" for everything and use the tubbs altitude - sometimes i still use the 30s for hiking, but they are harder for climbing (and the 36"ers are too wide on the trail so i only use thm on my own place as i do the 48"ers) - - - - the MSRs are really good for those days in the spring and fall when it is snowless down below and snowy up top (or you dont know what to expect up top) - they carry really nice on the backpack (nice and flat) - due to thier hardness on the feet they are better as part timers - - - but they do have really good traction...