Mt Abraham (ME) Road Access

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeCedar

Reaction score
How far up is the road plowed in winter to the Fire Warden's trailhead? Beyond the end of West Kingfield Road to Rapid Stream Road? Is there winter logging work in the area?

I don't mind walking but it is helpful to know how long the additional road walk is.

I know the double bridge on Rapid Stream Road has not been replaced, so while I can't say how far up the plowing goes, you have to make that crossing and if not fully frozen over (if it even does fully freeze over) it isn't a pretty one.

A common winter approach is by hiking or xc skiing up Caribou Valley Road, and bushwhacking up to the AT by Spaulding, and taking the spur trail to Abraham from there.

On Monday we drove up w. Kingfield rd. 5.2 miles on a recon mission in the Prius. No problems. We used a plowed out turn around to get turned around and got safely back. When are you going, we will bring Kerry! :D]

Tom, thanks for the recon.; 5.2 mi is pretty far up. Tracing the roads with TOPO! I get 6.2 miles to the trailhead from Rt 16. You must be near the non-bridge.

MJ, I haven't added it up but that would be a pretty long winter day hike. I assume you are doing an overnight. In summer I have done the loop a couple of times from the steel bridge to Su-Sp-A-R-SC-NC. The spur out to Abe is a nice trail, but it would be a long walk back to Rt 27.