Mt Adams 11-11-10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawshank

Reaction score
Attemped Mt. Adams yesterday. Didn't see anybody the entire day (and for good reason!) Started from rt 2 and took the Air Line directly up. Was a very nice day, fairly mild and wind wasn't too bad. But the ice was! I had micros but had to turn back half way through the knifes edge just before Gulfside. Simply to much ice to safely navigate without crampons. I was solo so it was a tough call but felt it was the right decision. (was the first time I've ever turned back before the summit in over 50 hikes)

I recommend waiting for some snow to fall for traction or bringing crampons. There were no tracks so I assume nobody had been through in the past day or so. If you are reading and have been through recently let me know what you thought.

Despite the failed summit bid I enjoyed some great views and took a little peaceful nap below tree level. A great day.

I headed up Air Line yesterday, too, leaving the trailhead at around 8:30. I turned off to Madison Hut, did Madison, dropped to Star Lake, and then returned via Air Line, Scar, and Valley Way.

The ice was pretty bad, agreed, and tedious. I didn't enjoy a few sections along the Knife Edge, where the wind was pushing me toward King Ravine. :eek: Madison was a jumble of ice-coated rocks, and I'm not sure crampons would have helped all that much, since most of the ice was thin. I descended a more southerly ridge b/c the exposure meant more bare rocks.

Great views and a warm sun, though! Definitely a great day to be out.

BTW - There were a few groups I met who I passed while ascending Air Line, and a few on the way down, too. One guy said he had done Adams.

We did Waumbek (#47!!!) and got a nice glimpse of Washington and the N. Presies on the way to Waumbek E...

Looked longingly that way figuring anyone on ANY trail up there must really be enjoying it!

Good to know what you experienced. Down on Mt. Faraway we sat on the bench after surviving the blasts we received on Mt. Roberts Trail and wondered how the winds were above tree line up north. Some calls are hard to make. Turning around is never an easy one, but I'd say you made the right one, given what you were facing.