Mt Cabot Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tycho_32

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Mt Cabaot Trail is now open for general use? I know that for a while it has been closed because the trailhead was owned by a private individual. Any information would be appreciated as we are planning to snowshoe this mountain next month and would like to take this trail if it is open.
Thanks

The official word from the USFS is that the trail is still closed and they'd prefer that you not use it.

The parking lot is being plowed and the land owner at the trailhead has no problems with hikers using the land. A land owner further up the trail doesn't want hikers on his land, but legally he may not have the right to bar hikers.

This all comes from a call I placed to the USFS and a discussion had here (now lost due to the board crash) with someone who did the research.

People are using the trail. Others are choosing not to use it. You'll have to make up your own mind.

-dave-

FYI, there is a posting on trail conditions that the landowner who has objections to hikers is stopping hikers on his section of the trail. The new sign is apparently taken down. Definitely sounds like its not a good place to go hiking until things settle down !

My hiking partner and I hiked this trail from Arthur White Road starting on Sunday morning. When we returned several hours later, the sign at the trailhead had been turned around and "Hiking Trail Closed" signs had been tacked to every non-living object in the area. Ironically, these were handwritten notes on the back of "Please Keep on the Trail" signs.

My understanding from the town of Lancaster was that the land owner who objects to hikers using the trail (Crane) owns land on both sides of the trail from the trailhead until the intersection with the trail coming from the south (I forgot the trail's name for the moment). From that point on to WMNF lands, the trail forms a border between Crane's land and someone elses. (The town of Lancaster provided me with a map from the town tax department.)

This information is, however, two years old so things may have changed.

Brian