Mt. Cabot Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Mt. Cabot Trail is closed and shouldn't be used at this time.

I highly recommend as a great route driving up to Stark and coming down Mill Brook Road to the northern end of the Unknown Pond Trail. The gate is always open now. Take that trail up to Unknown Pond, check out the beautiful area, then head south on the Kilkenny Ridge Trail. You'll go up over the Bulge and then up to the summit of Cabot. I remember it being signed up there or very close.

On the way back, you'll see the (currently missing its sign) obvious side trail that goes up to the Horn (between the Bulge and Unknown Pond, on your right). Head up there and enjoy the gorgeous view. It's easier to see the trail coming back north, but of course you can head up there on either leg of your trip.

Yes, the trail is still officially closed and the FS has asked all hikers to use one of the two other approaches, either via the Fish Hatchery or Mill Brook Road in Stark. Personally, I think the Mill Brook approach is the nicest, plus you get to hit the Horn and the Bulge, both nice diversions. From that approach, the cabin is beyond the wooded summit, but there is a nice view right next to the cabin.

-dave-

If you choose the Hatchery approach, keep in mind the bridge repairs going on there until December as mentioned in several posts and trip reports here.

sort of closed?

I had an interesting conversation in late August with the homeowner who lives right at the start of the trail off Arthur White Rd. I noticed the "Closed" signs had been removed, and saw people who were clearly coming and going on the trail. When I asked him about it, he said the landowner with the issue had pretty much given up stopping hikers from using the trail, and although the trailhead is no longer marked as such if you know where it is you can use it. This may be counter to the position of the USFS, but just thought I'd throw that out.

Ciao Solo

I did the Kilkenny Ridge Trail this weekend, so I'll lend my knowledge.

The gate is always open now.
It was open at 7 am when we did our car spot, but not at 11pm at night. Luckily I decided to park outside the gate to the hatchery even though it's a 2 mile road walk.

The main bridge is definately closed (not really realising that the second span isn't right next to it caused a mild panic among my group). But there is a second bridge if you take a right at the closed bridge and go up a little bit.

From Kilkenny Ridge the Cabot trail actually has a lot of debris purposely blocking it so that people don't attempt to come down it.

I would highly recommend bagging the Bulge and the Horn while you are out there. The Horn is incredible. It's now one of my favorite mountains or at least knobs of mountains.

FYI - the gate that's always open is the one on Mill Brook Road a mile before the Unknown Pond Trailhead.

I was not referring to the Hatchery gate, which does close every night.