Mt Mansfield & Camels Hump VT Suggested Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
Will hike Mt Mansfield & Camels Hump as two day hikes next month with a few infrequent hikers. Looking for suggested trails. The less strenuous the better. Would like to be in the woods less than 7 hours each day, closer to 5 or 6 even better. Also, would appreciate an easy to find trailhead.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

camels hump has two different trails to the summit from the parking lot, which is off I89 exit 10, go south rt 100 for a couple miles and turn onto camels hump rd which follows a river for 5 or 10 miles. the hike can be a loop hike. i would suggest taking the trail to the left to the top and coming down the mt on the right side. beautiful views from the top, and there is also a crash site somewhere on the mt of an old military plane from the 40's i think. for mt mansfield there are several places to start the hike, but the easiest is at the state park entrance. they also have really nice large lean to's there w/ big firepits that are real nice if you stay overnight. i've stayed there a couple times, and it's a really nice place to camp. as far as routes, there are many different routes. couple suggestions are to see cantilever rock, which is a large boulder and cliffs, and also i believe it's called the sunset trail or something like that. it's all the way on the left side of the mt and follows the ridgeline up. after you're done hiking there's also ben and jerry's in waterbury.

I would recommend Mansfeild via Sunset Ridge Trail. The trail is very well laid out and nearly impossible to get lost on. It also makes for a very easy hike, you will be up and down in no time and the views are quite nice.

I am climbing the state highpoints and found it a bonus to take care of Vermont during the hike also.

agreed. ADK4life and I had a great time on the Sunset Ridge trail back in March. it's pretty much a cakewalk, with amazing views of the Champlain valley and the high peaks.

The GMC Long Trail Guide has decent info on Mansfield, likely for Camel's Hump too. just purchased the new LT Guide as I have been unable to find my old edition after the move.

I don't hike in VT a lot but have got by with the 50 Hikes, LT Guide & GMC Day Hiker's Guide + the DeLorme VT Gazetteer.(sic?)

Mike P. said:
The GMC Long Trail Guide has decent info on Mansfield, likely for Camel's Hump too. just purchased the new LT Guide as I have been unable to find my old edition after the move.

I don't hike in VT a lot but have got by with the 50 Hikes, LT Guide & GMC Day Hiker's Guide + the DeLorme VT Gazetteer.(sic?)

Does the GMC Guide have a pull-out map(s)?

The Long Trail Guide doesn’t have pull-out maps but there is a very good Long Trail map from Wilderness Map Company.

Most of the popular Vermont hikes are covered on two maps from Map Adventures. Northern Vermont Hiking includes Mansfield, Camel’s Hump, Worcester Range, Lake Willoughby and other areas. Vermont New Hampshire has Killington, Mts. Abraham and Ellen, Ascutney, the AT north of Hanover and Moosilauke. Both are easy to read and include trail descriptions with mileage and elevation gain. I found them at the Mountain Wanderer.