Mt. Osceola and Osceola East Peak 7/11/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
Day 5: July 11, 2009
Mt. Osceola (4340’) and Mt. Osceola East Peak (4156’)

· Breakfast @ local restaurant (6:30 AM)
· Drive to Mt. Osceola trail head parking on Tripoli Rd (FR 30)
(All Cars with WMNF Parking Permits)

Note: “The Mount Osceola Trail from Tripoli Road is relatively easy with moderate grades and reasonable footing. The section between the col and East Peak is rough with a very steep chimney that can be avoided by a detour to the left (N).” AMC White Mountain Guide

Day 5 Hike Totals: (kcal: 3,913)
8.4 m, 2950’ ascent, 6:30 – 7:30 hrs. BT+
Actual Hike Time: 6:08 hrs.

Osceola and East Osceola Comments:

I was up and out of Gilcrest at 6:00 AM. There was a Triathlon in Waterville Valley and I wanted to arrive at the trailhead before anything started. I also wanted to start for home by early afternoon so I could be back for dinner.

I was thankful for such a relatively “easy” hike on my last day, but I noticed quite early that I had very little life in my legs and despite generous switchbacks, I struggled on the “easy” ascent. Adding to the strain was the incessant rock-hopping of the Osceola Trail. I had a feeling that this day was not going to be as “easy” as hoped for, but barring an injury or severe weather, there was no way I would leave without reaching the Osceola summits.

Even with frequent mini-rest breaks, I was satisfied with my ascent time. The view from the massive ledge of Osceola was hazy and washed out because of the position of the morning sun. The summit was mine alone for the moment so I snapped a few photos and was on my way down the ridge and chimney toward East Osceola.

Just before the chimney I met a mother and daughter hiking team who were on their way to East Osceola and a gentleman who had already been over and was on his way back. He and I had met in the parking area and have some of the same peaks left (6) to hike of the 48. He left his card on my windshield and I hope to share a few trails with him in September as we approach the completion of the 4000’ mountains of New Hampshire.

The chimney was a “drop in the bucket” compared to the North Slide of Tripyramid and I was at the summit cairn of East Osceola before too long. By the time I returned to Osceola, there were two hikers already relaxing on the broad summit shelf. I wanted to have a good photo of the Tripyramids from this side of the valley (as I had done from the Tripyramids to the Osceolas), but it was still too hazy and bright so I started my descent. On the way down, I passed dozens of people and at least 6 dogs and was even more thankful for my early start.

The rocky route grew more intolerable and less forgiving the second time around and just when I thought I couldn’t take it anymore, the trail started to flatten out and I was back at the parking area. A quick change of clothes, some needed hydration and I was on the road again crossing 167 miles through New Hampshire, Vermont and homebound.

As I descended Route 4 past Killington and Pico toward Rutland, Vermont, a crushing feeling of sadness overwhelmed me. I was going home and my Mom was not there anymore. After seven years as her primary care giver, I felt as heartbroken at this moment as I did at her funeral. I was grateful for my time in the mountains and very proud of my achievements. I accomplished what I set out to do, but only temporarily delayed what I now faced.

I guess I would have to approach my life without my wonderful mom the same way I hike mountains…one step at a time.

Here's a link to the Osceola/East Osceola Hike Photos. Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.com/runswit...?authkey=Gv1sRgCLq97fGr5v_7dg&feat=directlink