Mt. Redington, ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juls

Reaction score
Does anyone know what's the best approach to Mt. Redington in ME? I'm working on the NE 4000 Footer List and I've completed NH and I'm working on ME now. I can't seem to find anything in my books or maps about a trail to Mt. Redington. I see the general area but not sure what's the best way to summit. Anyone have any suggestions?

Julie

Julie - two approaches to Redington - one is mostly a logging road followed by a wide path. The other is over South Crocker via a herd path that is almost in good enough shape to call a trail. When we did it last Labor Day, we did South Crocker - then North Crocker, back to South, over to Redington via the bushwack, then followed the logging road back to the car. If we did it again we'd probably take the bush wack in both directions - the road was rather boring. If you look at the map you will see that the logging raod takes a very circular route back.

We have pics and details on our Web Page at:
http://rbhayes.net/laborday.html

Another member from VFTT is talking about doing a trip up that way the first part of June, and also doing Chain of Ponds Snow - we hope to be along on that weekend as well if your interested. Although if we had it to do over again we take a week an hit all the peaks in that area - they are all great.

If your working on your NEHH - we are doing Elephant in Maine next weekend weather permitting. Planning on staying in Twin Mountain Fri night, driving over Sat AM for the hike - then maybe hiking something around Twin area on Sunday.

Thanks for all the info Bob & Gerry and Sherpa John. I'm thinking about doing Saddleback & Horn next Sat. and then a backpacking trip Memorial Day weekend -Crockers, Redington, Sugarloaf, Spaulding & Abraham. I'm hoping it's not too early in the season to take this on. I'm not a fast hiker (book time) and will be a little slower with a heavy backpack.

I'd love to do that whole section of the AT in one backpack trip but I think that may be taking on more than I can handle right now. I'm new to backpacking and need more experience.

I'm trying to get some of the 4000 footers done in Maine while Vermont is pretty much closed down for mud season. There's about 4 of us looking at doing the Rangeley and Bigelow 4000 footers. If anyone want to join us your welcome to come.

I'm doing the Bigelow Range (Avery, West and the Horns) next weekend. Our plan is to do the loop consisting of the Firewarden's Trail to the AT and down the Horn Pond trail......I think its about 12 miles (I've heard conflicting mileage). I've done this loop as a day hike and found it to be pretty challenging; this time we're going to spread it over two days, staying one night in the Avery lean-to.

Uh oh!

There is no Avery lean-to. It was taken down a few years ago, and all that is left is a tent site. Sounds like time for plan modification.
:(

Oh, and Juls, if you're new to backpacking you might be taking a rather large bite here. Lots of Maine is muddy in August, never mind May, and I think mud season was invented here (it comes from the woods industry). It usually is pretty well ended by around Memorial Day.

So if you're looking to avoid the mud, this might not be the best choice of time and route.

Last edited: