Mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramper

Reaction score
I'm hiking up to the lake of the clouds hut on 6/16 with my father in law. He is in good shape for his age but has not hiked much. Which route is recommended. Thanks.

Since someone in your party has not done much hiking, another option you might consider is to drive up Mt Washington and park in the lot up top. Then hike down to the LOC Hut and back up to your car the next day. This is physically easier, but check the weather as you will be totally exposed the whole way. Also, be sure to check ahead to make sure you can park overnight on the summit.

dvbl said:
Since someone in your party has not done much hiking, another option you might consider is to drive up Mt Washington and park in the lot up top. Then hike down to the LOC Hut and back up to your car the next day. This is physically easier, but check the weather as you will be totally exposed the whole way. Also, be sure to check ahead to make sure you can park overnight on the summit.

According to the Auto Road website you just have to let the Toll House know that you are parking overnight at the summit.

dvbl said:
This carries the risk that you will be trapped at the hut by bad weather, unless some can hike down Ammo Ravine Tr while others go get the car.

And even if the weather is good, you have to hike uphill over rough trails to get back to the car.

Doug

Auto Road good....

I think Ammo could be intimidating to someone who hasn't hiked much, especially if age is a factor, despite being in good condition.
Jewell is an option but is longer, is gentle below tree line but has a fairly long rough section above tree line. The Auto Road idea sounds like a good option.

If the weather is nice you might try Edmunds Path which will be less wet and dangerous than Ammo but you will be above treeline for the 3 miles or so from Eisenhower to LOC. The east side is nice but Tucks headwall area was still closed last year on Father's Day weekend which was 6/18 which leaves Lions Head which is tough if your father in law hasn't hiked much or Boott Spur which is nice but again is only recommended if the weather is cooperative since you will be above treeline for a considerable distance. Jewell is the easiest but also probably the longest. Anything on the west side is easier than the east and more direct. My 2 cents.

How old is he?

Best way to prepare for the hike is to get out & hike now. CT & MA have little to no meaningful snow left.

What kind of footwear is he planning on wearing? Older legs & joints not used to rocky trails would benefit from hiking boots. If he ends up buying new boots, he should break them in before buying them.

If it's just him & you, I'd go Ammo as the Auto Road Option potentially puts you in a must go up in bad weather possibility on 6/17. Plenty of 50+ 60+ & some 70+ aged people who make the trip. (many likely hiking for decades)

Mt. Washington Road Race

Tramper,
Just an FYI. The Mt. Washington Road Race is going on 6/16. It goes off at 10:00 AM with the first runners arriving in about an hour. (I watched a record breaker come in after 56:41 in 04.) Might be a nice spectator event if you are going to hit the peak anyway, though you'd have to get an early start up. Expect to see lots of crowds and cars in the lot. There are 1000 runners. :eek: Also, I understand that due to the number of people on the summit that day the 250 person limit in the summit building will be exceeded. Hikers, runners, and their supports will be allowed into the building as others leave, and people are not encouraged to linger. The last of the runners could take over three hours to finish, around 1:00.
Hope you and your dad have a nice hike. I'll be kicking around those parts that weekend too.

Early Bird said:
Tramper,
Just an FYI. The Mt. Washington Road Race is going on 6/16. It goes off at 10:00 AM with the first runners arriving in about an hour. (I watched a record breaker come in after 56:41 in 04.) Might be a nice spectator event if you are going to hit the peak anyway, though you'd have to get an early start up. Expect to see lots of crowds and cars in the lot. There are 1000 runners. :eek: Also, I understand that due to the number of people on the summit that day the 250 person limit in the summit building will be exceeded. Hikers, runners, and their supports will be allowed into the building as others leave, and people are not encouraged to linger. The last of the runners could take over three hours to finish, around 1:00.
Hope you and your dad have a nice hike. I'll be kicking around those parts that weekend too.

Good catch, early bird!

Tramper, if you elect to DRIVE the Auto Road on 6/16, be aware that private cars ( not associated with the Road Race) will NOT be allowed up the road until early afternoon. The Auto Road website gives an opening time of 12:30 on that day, but this is AN ESTIMATE, NOT a firm time and may well be after 1 pm, depending on the situation at the summit.

Traffic on the road AFTER the public opening time is miserable, trust me. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 250+ cars will be downbound with runners, and an unbroken line of cars will be headed upbound should the weather be good.

I'm sorry to sound discouraging, but several years experience at the Tollhouse on Race Day put me in the position of being able to give you the whole scenario.

There will be folks with the race who spot a car at the summit on 6/15 for overnight to avoid the early morning race crush, and you would certainly be welcome to do so, weather permitting. All you need to do is mention to the tollhouse attendant that you are planning to leave the car at the summit, we will take your particulars ( name, car registration and description, and your destination).

Hiking will be by far the best way to enjoy Mt. Washington on Saturday the 16th!

Breeze

kerry13 said:
If the weather is nice you might try Edmunds Path which will be less wet and dangerous than Ammo but you will be above treeline for the 3 miles or so from Eisenhower to LOC.

I'd second this a 'easier' way to get to that hut. About the only caveat is a rough patch of rock hopping for a few hundred yards shortly after breaking above treeline until shortly before making the col on the north side of Eisenhower. While you can bypass both Franklin Pierce and Monroe, FP is only slightly more effort, and the views are excellent looking down into Oakes Gulf.

Chip said:
...her road race heads-up ! :p But I didn't know either until I hiked with her.

Thanks for the correction, Chip. I did a similar thing last year when I read periwinkle's solo Bondcliff midnight hike trip report, and I assumed it was a man. I wonder why I do that. Oh well, that's a whole other thread.

Sincerely,
Catherine

dvbl said:
I did a similar thing last ... assumed it was a man. I wonder why I do that. Oh well, that's a whole other thread.

Sincerely,
Catherine
So far lately, I've been called Mike, sir, and man. It's all good. How would you know? :D

Thanks

It looks like I'll be taking him up the Ammo trial. We are staying the night at the hut so that there will be no rush to get up and back. Good tip regarding the Road Race, sounds like it might be a fun weekend if we can get up to the summit. Thank You everyone for your responses.