Mt Whiteface & Mt Passaconaway - 05/17/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
LRiz was wanting to hike Mt Whiteface/Passaconaway on the Sunday after her incredible Mt Washington/Isolation trip on the Saturday. I needed these peaks for my Spring48 so a hike was on. We met at Ferncroft for 9am which turned out to be just the right time as the rain stopped about 8:30 and never returned for the duration of our hike. I was worried this OldMan would not be able to keep up with LRiz and I was secretly hoping her long Saturday hike had tired her out a bit. No such luck, she's a machine. I did manage to keep up and got one heck of a workout. The Blueberry Ledge Trail was clear of snow all the way.

By the time we reached the ledges the sky offered some great views.

We had brought our snowshoes just incase Rollins was still snowpacked but except for a few patches it was clear. I welcomed the end of our final climb up Mt Passaconaway, looking forward to the hike down. LRiz seem to just enjoy all the uphills. The hike down Dicey's Mill went by very quickly. I was suprised when we were back at the car after only 6 hours. We managed a 2 MPH average for the hike, way above my normal pace. Thanks LRiz!

Of course after reading Earls post about the nearby Sandwich Creamery, we had to check it out. How did you ever discover this place Earl? It's really out of the way but the ice cream is definately worth the stop. Thanks Earl!

2mph, eh? I attribute that to our rapid descent. You were flying, my friend! I literally had to jog to keep up with you at times... :)

Great company + surprisingly great weather + no snow = excellent hike.

Where to next? :D

Of course after reading Earls post about the nearby Sandwich Creamery, we had to check it out. How did you ever discover this place Earl? It's really out of the way but the ice cream is definately worth the stop. Thanks Earl!
Over the past several years I have met quite a few terrific people as a result of being active in hiking. I have had the pleasure to actually spend time hiking with many of them. It has become a fairly long list. Near the top of the list is a fellow named Damon. He is an outstanding individual. Damon seems to have a great understanding of the outdoors in general and hiking in particular. I believe he is also a pretty good judge of character.

Damon has a lot of additional information filed away for future reference when the need comes up. One such piece of information was The Sandwich Creamery. He told me about the Sandwich Creamery during a hot, muggy hike a couple years ago. The first time I went looking for it I drove past the sign and never saw it. We ended up having some ice cream near Squam Lake. I remembered Damon’s comments and decided to again take a shot at locating the place. Success!

It’s a pretty good stop after hiking Whiteface & Passaconaway and only about a mile out of the way.

I’m glad you enjoyed the visit.

:D