My Aching Neck!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Does anyone else end up with a stiff neck at the end of a long hike?

I think it's from staring down at the trail all day. But, I don't want to trip and fall either. Any suggestions?

How about a hiking mirror? Put it in front of you pointed down and you can see the trail without bending your neck... :p

Us short people have no such problem I guess..

Yoga is good!

jay

Hey Tom,

I have suffered with stiff/sore neck for years. It's especially harder on it coming down hill when you have to bend forward to look at footing.
One solution I found works is come downhill backwards. Obviously one has to take care not to fall... a little tricky but works for a while. I do get some strange looks from people though.

Viewseeker said:
I too have seen this and think it is from the weight of my pack pulling on myself
In myself, I've always attributed it to shoulder strain causing the shoulder muscles to tighten up and pull on the neck muscles. Massaging the tight spot where neck and shoulder meet seems to provide some relief. Yesterday (with a long, flat walkout) I tried undoing the hip belt for ten minutes, then cinching the hip belt back up and loosening the shoulder straps most of the way for ten minutes, just to move the weight around for a bit.

My neck gets stiff when hiking in the dark. I bet it the same type of thing. I think it's from looking up & down at my feet while walking. I've started using two head lamps, one pointed down & pointed up and out.

One exercise I've started doing recently that seems to help comes from when I played baseball (and can be done if you're on a moderately wide trail, while still moving). Stick your arms straight out, and move them in increasing circles, starting in small radius, and gradually moving to (arms not straight out at this point) full arm wind up rotations. This seems to get the blood flowing and muscles loosened up a bit.

Are you sure it's not from the weight of your pack's shoulder straps? One thing I noticed some time ago - if the chest strap is too tight, it brings the straps in too close and the weight would be too close to my neck instead of further out on my shoulders...

WinterWarlock said:
Are you sure it's not from the weight of your pack's shoulder straps? One thing I noticed some time ago - if the chest strap is too tight, it brings the straps in too close and the weight would be too close to my neck instead of further out on my shoulders...
This is worth a shot, thanks!

Tom, you're so young, please don't be offended :rolleyes: ---but do you need new eyeglasses or bifocals, or do you have new bifocals or progressive lenses? Any of the above can be a real pain :confused: till you figure out what works. You may hold your neck in a certain position all day to see through a certain part of the lens, and the result is neck strain and eye strain.

JoeCedar said:
Tom, you're so young, please don't be offended :rolleyes: ---but do you need new eyeglasses or bifocals, or do you have new bifocals or progressive lenses? Any of the above can be a real pain :confused: till you figure out what works. You may hold your neck in a certain position all day to see through a certain part of the lens, and the result is neck strain and eye strain.
I only need reading glasses at this point, thankyouverymuch! :D

jniehof said:
In myself, I've always attributed it to shoulder strain causing the shoulder muscles to tighten up and pull on the neck muscles.

This comes pretty close to what I would have attributed the pain to.

My guess (actually, scientists never guess, they estimate).

Therfore, I estimate that the discomfort's origin may be found in prolonged contraction of the neck/shoulder musculature, especially, but not exclusively, the upper trapezius.

Among other things the causes may be:

overly tight shoulder straps
too long hiking poles
prolonged shoulder shrugging
stress/anxiety

A big help may be to shorten the poles and to make a repeated conscious effort to relax and lower the shoulders.

have you pulled any ticks off lately.......stiff necks are often one of the signs of early lyme.

Chip said:
I forget if you hike with poles, I think so, right ?If that's the same pack you still use there might be something, as WinterWarlock mentioned, with the straps going on. Try a different pack and maybe no poles next time.
I hike with 1 pole, and yes, I still use that pack (for winter and overnights). I try to switch hands I hold the pole in from time to time. The straps are my #1 contender for the problem right now. Laurie thinks I carry my pack too high on my body.

Tom Rankin said:
Laurie thinks I carry my pack too high on my body.

My older pack was clearly too short for my body, and the hip belt didn't allow my hips to carry the weight...that's why I ended up with shoulder and chest straps too tight, which caused my neck strain.

I just got a new Osprey Stratos for my birthday (thanks Pam and kids!!) and can't wait to try it out on the trail, but just in wearing it around, I can tell that the hip belt is working better than my old Kelty Redwing.

You may just have to tell Laurie you need a new pack then!! :D :D

Scott