My Adirondack 46, Oct 13, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonrock

Reaction score
Started in 1985, with Giant.
Finished Wed, Oct 13 2010 on Armstrong !!!

This was my second 46 Finish attempt, the first being Oct 2009. Then, I made Uppr WJ (#45) but bailed on 46 due to summit ice and (safety) counsel of 46-er buddy Paul S (DNAgent).

Paul could not make this trip, so I drove from Manlius NY to Keene Valley, got a bite at Noonmark Diner, then packed in solo from the Garden, at dusk. Tent camped near JBL because of dry, cold forecast, first 2 nights.

[BTW: The tent camp area on the Big Slide trail has contradictory Camp/Don't Camp tags. The tent camp area after JBL was unmarked on the main trail, heading in. Finally discovered it AM Thurs, en route to Haystack.]

Wednesday (13th) , I ascended western Gothics via the cables. Skipped Pyramid due to time/daylight budget. Reached Armstrong summit ledge
(!!! :)) early afternoon. Perfect sunny Fall day. But Foliage had already been rained from the trees :{.

Descended over Upper WJ and reached Interior Outpost and my tent after dark. Cooked dinner WARILY on Johns Brook (near JBL area lean-to), but the only mammal that appeared was an inquisitive, peripatetic Deer Mouse.

Haystack from JBL was the next day. But that's another report.

PHOTOS
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stubabes0137/sets/72157625221265936/

MR