My ALMOST 46th

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonrock

Reaction score
Drove up from NC to NY on the weekend of Oct 10th.
THE PLAN: Hike Upper WJ (#45) and Armstrong (#46 !!!)

Picked up Paul ("DNAgent" - 2004 46-er) at Albany AP on Wed. 14th (he flew red-eye from CA for this !). We packed to the lean-to between Johns Brook Lodge and Interior outpost. NO bears. NO people. One semi-tame DOE and her yearling fawn. Nighttime temps in the upper teens - 20F.

Thurs 15th we cranked up past Wolfjaw Lean-to to the col between LWJ and UWJ. After that, the ice accumulation became evident, esp on pitches (Asolo Boots, native rubber soles - c'est tout). By the time we topped UWJ, DNAgent realized that Armstrong would not be doable in the remaining daylight :( :( :(. So That Was That. But descending the same icy pitches was "fun".

Friday we packed out and brunched at Noonmark Diner (currently: thumbs up !). Opted out of the Brothers (which were still icy) and instead did an excellent steep/scenic hike to Giant's Washbowl and Nubble. Photos (below) were worth the trip.

Major Bummer not getting Armstrong (just 0.8 mile/few hundred feet !!!!!!). Maybe after my 50th Birthday "Group Lament" in Watertown, next Summer.

I have recently gone over to Flickr, because Webshots pop-ups/ads are retina/nerve-rending
Pics Here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stubabes0137/sets/72157622685760610/

Moonrock

Excellent pictures, and the caption winner is "Hiking low: Easy; Hiking high: Buy Equipment !" :D

At least you knew enough to turn back, and did I mention those pictures? :D

Wow - Nice photos!!
I got stuck in what is probably the same spot one day in Early January of 94 or 95... Snowshoes and no crampons...I hit that huge, massive flow of ice (Green ice as I recall) on some long pitches and about a 1/4 way up UWJ after the col, I gave in and turned around, (I was solo) because it was just too damn dicey going up. Coming down was a bit more terrifying... I was definitely out of my comfort zonethat day.