My pot has a spot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
My poor titanium pot has a spot! :eek:
It's purple and becomes more noticeable each time I use it.

What's the prognosis for my pot? Is it going to break in the middle of some trip while I'm making dinner?? Has anyone else had this problem?

2311149190085009514DFaBvd_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

On it's maiden outing I put my snow-peak pot on the burner before I put water in the pot. :rolleyes: It now has a lovely ring of blue/purple spots around the bottom. Maybe one of our resident metalurgists will tell us differently, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse and doesn't seem negative on the performance.

My boyfriend used my titanium cookware directly in a campfire about a month ago and turned the entire thing purple-blue. He did this to my titanium cup also . . . though it doesn't look new anymore, it doesn't seem to affect it adversely either. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

sli74

I'm no metalurgist and no longer use Ti cookware but... Ti is interesting stuff. It conducts heat so fast it will make your head spin so keep your heat lower than normal. No easy task with many BP stoves. The blue is most likely surface oxide and a reaction between the heat, and gases from your fuel so i woudln't worry about it. Weld joints typically discolor and can be wire brushed clean. You should always put water in the pot before you put a Ti pot on a stove. You can easily scortch it when even melting snow.

Just a 2 cents post :)

KenC

summit1 said:
Maybe its a tumor?? :D

It's not a tumor (insert a certain governator's accent)

Thanks for all of the advice guys. My husband had me convinced the metal was weakening and would crack in that spot, so I'm glad it isn't doomed after all.

I was degreasing bike parts with gasoline in a large stainless bowl. After I was finished I didn't know what to do with the (2 gallons of) gas, so I lit it. Major Darwin moment. It took me about 25 min to put it out, afterwards I noticed the whole bowl had been turned blue and purple

If you really want to get rid of it, Barkeeper's Friend works really well.

Otherwise, you're not damaging the pot, it's not going to crack (unless you're using an oxy-acetylene torch to cook with) don't worry about it.