My unsuccessful Rainier attemp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuiYeng

Reaction score
My unsuccessful Rainier attempt 6/22-24

:( Here are the pictures I took from the climb and the rest of my vacation. Below are extracted from my journal. Please pardon my broken english if you do wish to read them. Enjoy!

Day 1
This was my first Rainier attempt, I have been thinking about climbing this mountain since the day I heard about the beauty and challenge on this mountain. Finally this year I will be trying to make that happen.

The Galvins and I stayed at Tacoma the night before the climb. Tom started his morning with some rough notes, problems with hot shower, broken waffle machine etc… We didn’t get to the Paradise parking lot until afternoon. We can see the mountain almost the entire drive to the park, I gather that as a good omen, as if we’re welcomed and guided by the mountain to her feet. How naïve.

My biggest worry of all for this trip was the weight on my back and the altitude. As it turned out, the less than 45 lb on my back was manageable. I was climbing steadily and was feeling pretty good the whole trip up to Camp Muir. We took water and sun screen break every hour as the sun was pretty strong with only occasional cloud veiled the ray from time to time.

As soon as we climbed above the cloud, we’re rewarded with the grand view of the south. With Mt St Helens, Mt Adams and even Mt Hood stretched across the clear horizon. The cloud perfectly accentuated the glorious mountains and added more drama to the breath-taken scene.

The higher we climbed, the summit appear to be further away.

We arrived at Camp Muir around 7:30 PM. The wind began to pick up significantly as soon as we arrived. Tom scouted a nice tent site where we’d pitch our tent and spend the night. Andrew and I would share one and Tom would have the other 2-person tent all to himself. We hunkered behind the shelter to stay away from the wind in order to cook and eat our dinner.
The wind was merciless throughout the night. Laying in my sleeping bag listening to the wind flapping the fabric of the tent was quite an experience. I was amazed by the thin material that made up the wall that shielded me from the element. I was feeling quite safe, uncomfortable but safe. The night felt long and cold, I drifted into asleep only to be woken up again by the wind. Around midnight, I guess, I heard climbers getting up and ready for their summit push. I prayed for their safety and that our summit night would be slightly more pleasant than this.

Day 2
We woke up to an absolutely gorgeous day. I felt good and strong.
Many climbers were already on their way to the Ingraham Flat when we woke up. About 10:30 AM, we’re finally geared up and ready to go. Llike other climbers, we would climb over to the Ingraham Flat where we’d spend another night before the summit climbed. We’d hike pass the rock fall zone beneath the Beehive, and the Cathedral Rocks wall, where many experts advised climbers to hike fast in this area to avoid being hit by the rocks. Throughout the morning their advice was validated, we witness numerous rock fall but most of them were about the size of an apple.

The climb up the Cathedral Gap was annoying. The path up the gap was sandy, rocky and somewhat steep. The footing was loose and very often the sand would give way right under my feet. I had to move quickly and my steps had to be light to avoid sliding down. Luckily the climb to the top of the gap was short, still that was long enough to exhaust my calf muscle.

The Cathedral Rock concealed the view of the other side of the mountain. Like the stage curtain that open up to a new scene, as soon as we reached the top of the rock, I was overwhelmed by the mass of the mountain in front of me, I was merely a speck of dust on this gigantic mountain. The scene was surreal.

The route leads to the Ingraham Flat goes along a huge crevasse, it was the first crevasse I have ever seen up close in person. The crevasse has the most amazing shade of blues layering on its wall. We hiked carefully along it and arrived at the flat in a short while later. Looked around I recognized the Gibraltar Rock, the Disappointment Cleaver and the Little Tahoma. Tom pointed out the various routes up to the summit. We picked a well established camp site left behind by previous climbers. Like the one we used at Camp Muir, it was in perfect shape, this one even equipped with a stoves platform and a fridge.

I felt a little light headed when I arrived at the Ingraham Flat. A couple Nelgene-full of water later, I was feeling good and strong again. We spent the rest of the afternoon resting, eating and drinking. Since we all felt pretty good so far, Tom suggested starting our summit climb at midnight tonight. Andrew and I both jumped right on board, and excited about the challenging climb to the summit. Little that we knew, the biggest challenge of all would fall upon us as soon as night fell.

We climbed into our tent at around 6 PM when the day was still bright. I was turning and tossing in my sleeping bag, couldn’t quite find a comfortable position to sleep. Hours flew by, I was finally drifted into asleep. The next time I opened my eyes I found the sky was getting darker, I guess it was around 9 PM. I was somewhat cold and very uncomfortable in my sleeping bag. I hated the feeling of not being able to stretch my arms, so I let my sleeping bag open, only later to be woken up by the cold and zipped my bag. I would do this few times throughout the hours and eventually I noticed my breathing became heavier. Every small movement I made was such a hard work, I need to breathe very hard to force air into my lungs. The hardest task of all was laying back down after sitting up for a drink. At about the same time, Andrew too was having hard time breathing, I first heard him coughing, and then breathing heavily. His condition was worsening around midnight and eventually he was panting heavily. Tom and I both checked on him from time to time to make sure he was OK. He eventually told Tom that he felt like his throat was swollen up and he wanted to descend the mountain as soon as the day breaks. Shortly after that he started to vomit. Tom got out from his tent to fix him some hot chocolate and made me a hot water bottle. (Andrew unzipped the tent to vomit and I was shivering in my sleeping bag.)

After few minutes, he was claiming down and he felt the throat was getting better. Tom told us to get some sleep and we’ll discuss our plan the next morning. The hot water bottle from Tom was a life saver, I was feeling warmer and my breathing was getting better, so was Andrew.

In retrospect, I think a chain of mistakes I made this afternoon contributed to my misery on this long cold night. When Tom was setting up our tent this afternoon, he noticed the tent platform was not perfectly flat and noted that Andrew and I might want to sleep head to head instead of head to feet to each other. I wasn’t aware of any possible bad consequence, so against his suggestion, I volunteered to sleep with my head on the slightly down slope side.

And later that night, every time after I sat up for a drink, I was having difficulty laying back down. The feeling was like doing a back flip head dive into a void, it was a very difficult and somewhat scary feeling. Needless to say I was grasping for air after that. I was scare, I did not want to get into trouble at 11,000 ft, so I better think of something, and my solution was don’t drink water. Good thinking heh. Mistake #2, which fed to mistake #1, since we decided to push for summit at midnight, I packed my Platapus into my backpack so that I’d be ready to go in the middle of the night. So I took the Nelgene into the tent with me that night instead of the Platapus which I could keep myself conveniently and adequately hydrated without having to move much at all.

Day 3
The next morning I woke up at about 7 AM, as soon as I sat up, I felt a twist in my stomach and immediately I searched for the zipper of the tent entrance and it was my turn to vomit. The miserable 8 Oz of water that I consumed the entire night poured right out of me onto the beautiful mountain. Tom got out of his tent and asked if we’d like to descend today, without much thought I was all onboard. The feeling of grasping for air was still very vivid in my mind, and that fact I just vomited did not help to encourage me. I was disappointed at myself and feeling relieve at the same time when we all decided to descend. That is what defeat feels like.

We packed up and left Ingraham Flat at around 10:30 AM to avoid the traffic, we got back to the parking lot by 2:30 PM. I felt empty in me. I diverged my thought to the feast and comfort that I’ll be indulging myself as soon as we got back to the city. A reward to my failure. Hail to the loser!

After that for the rest of my trip, when I was looking at the mountain from every corner I went, I felt like I was being challenged by the mountain. Will I ever be strong enough to climb Her ever again? I have no doubt in my mind. Will I ever succeed? I can only guarantee myself I’ll not cease trying.

Last edited:
Seven,

Less-than-perfect-English just means that you speak 2 languages fluently, which means that you're smarter than most Americans!

Great trip report- it's good to hear about hikers who err on the side of caution and are willing to admit their mistakes so that the rest of us don't repeat them.

Looking forward to hearing about attempt #2!

7Summits: Congrats on Successful trip!! You had fun, saw some great stuff, and spent a few days on an amazing mountain, made it to 11,000 feet, had some decent weather and you came back. Thats a success in my book :)

You guys made the right call. If the thin air was getting to you at the flats, you would have been much worse going higher and if your tired, etc.. - above 12K up there is not a place to be making mistakes. Rainier isn't going anywhere and you learned a few things. People can say what they want about that route, it's certainlly a challenge - its not just getting out of the car and hiking up something and as you know now, there are many hazards to deal with.

Those are some great pictures - I was there roughly a year ago and I can't believe how much more snow there is. The Cowlitz glacier snow looks 200 or so feet higher up cathedral gap. The snowline last year was basically the start of the muir snowfeild. It looks like you had snow right out of the parking lot. Great stuff. :D

Great job!

Hi 7Summits, glad you made it back safely and had a good trip. Sounds like you learned a lot up there. I never got lightheaded up there or nautious but got to a point where I didn't feel hungry and wasn't snacking on my food I brought. It never really went away til I was back on the Ingraham Flats on the way back down to Muir.

Isn't the drive to Paradise (and Ashford) awesome??? You can ask SherpaK about that to see what he thinks but we all were commenting as it seems the mountian is looking at you when you are driving there from Tacoma.. it's almost ominous!

Jay

P.S. What broken English, your English seems fine to me :)

Great trip report and pictures as usual.

Don't feel bad, the mountain will be there for another attempt.

Nice job.

Any trip to a big mountain where you return is a success. Altitude is something that your own body and mind will learn with experience. You should feel good about your attempt and as already mentioned the Mountain will be there. Nice pictures!

Just think of the wisdom and experience you gained from this trip and how it will help you when you climb Rainier again, accentuate the positive :)
I enjoyed reading your TR and your pictures of Mt. Rainier and Mount St. Helen's were awesome, I especially love the ones of the crevasses and the pics of Helen with the purple flowers dotting the landscape.
Thanks for sharing :)
kmac

Hey all, thanks for the moral support, really appreciate that. I did have a great time and it really was a great experience. Most of all despite the summit I did climb to 11K, my personal record.

lx93, I'll keep you posted with my next attempt.

Giggy, ya we're on the snow as soon as we left the parking lot. there are only few dirt trail around the Pebble Creek and on the Cathedral Gap. I do much prefer walking on snow that dirt.

JayH, I totally agree that it was pretty ominous the way the mountain stared at us the whole trip. I have different interpretation of the sight before and after the climb. Even the bird that kept following us, as if it was trying to tell us something... Thin air really messed up my head :p

The thing that puzzled me that most was even Andrew was hit by the altitude sickness. He had summitted Rainier before, he is in great shape (he is a track runner who runs avarage 10 mi per day) and he was better hydrated than me. Still...

Just by talking/writing about the experience making me feel better, thanks for listening/reading.

Last edited:
7summits said:
Most of all despite the summit I did climb to 11K, my personal record.
Since you'd never been to altitude before this trip was a major success, in that you've established a baseline for further trips. You learned what to expect at altitude, how your body reacts, things to look out for. Pushing your limits is always an exploration and that's always a good thing. :)

-dave-

Seven,

Know what you mean by twist in your stomach. Last week I descended the Twin Sisters in Estes Park to find my stomach in a knot, and my head on "pound-mode" The Twins are 11,400 feet, and even at 7800 I was hurting. I found that acclimatization takes time, and 10 days later I found myself on summit second only to Ranier in continental America, at sunrise. I think if you give your body some more time, you will succeed. At least you know how your bodies react at elevation.

cheers.

-percious

7summits said:
The thing that puzzled me that most was even Andrew was hit by the altitude sickness. He had summitted Rainier before, he is in great shape (he is a track runner who runs avarage 10 mi per day) and he was better hydrated than me. Still...
Altitude acclimitizing can be a funny thing. Don't expect your body to react the same way every time you go high. Again with time and experience you will learn what works best for you.

Great pictures! I'm envious of your trip. Don't feel bad about the altitude sickness. It shows a lot of character to turn around like you guys did. Some might try forcing themselves to go on and risk injury or death.

I just saw a good show on Nat. Geographic channel called "Arctic Void". One of the 2 stories was a couple who wanted to get married on the summit of Ranier. They ended up falling into a crevasse with their guide. The guide managed to climb out and they were rescued. They got married in then end, just not on top of the mountain.

Best wishes for you on your next attempt.

Kevin

7summits said:
All previous acclimatization is lost in around 6 weeks, so a previous visit to altitude means little unless it was very recent. However, previous experience may result in better technique and knowledge that helps this visit. Individuals vary siginficantly in their tolerance of altitude. And, as skiguy noted, one's response can be very different on different visits to altitude. (For instance, Sir Edmund Hilliary can no longer go above 15Kft.)

Acclimatization is not helped by being in good shape. In fact, being in good shape makes it easier to get into trouble by ascending too quickly or otherwise overextending one's self.

Basically, you went from sea level to sleep at 10Kft and slept a second night at 11Kft. (Breathing is depressed during sleep and you are thus more likely to develop problems when sleeping.) That is a rather ambitious schedule--one that will cause problems in a significant percentage of climbers. (Some people develop problems from a rapid ascent to 8Kft.) IIRC, there is some evidence that climbers ability to handle altitude tends to peak in their late thirties and forties. (World-class high altitude climbers frequently peak in that same range.)

Sleeping head down and insufficient hydration were likely factors. Nervousness might also have contributed to your vomiting (you commented how relieved you were at turning down and many are nervous the night before a big climb). And, of course, once you start vomiting, maintaining sufficient hydration and fuel can become difficult.

14Kft is no biggie--most healthy people should be able to do it if they take adequate time for acclimatization. "Freedom of the Hills" has a very short section on acclimatization and some (rather brief) guidelines. The book "Going Higher" by Charles S Huston will tell you a lot more.

Doug

Last edited:
7summits said:
The thing that puzzled me that most was even Andrew was hit by the altitude sickness. He had summitted Rainier before, he is in great shape (he is a track runner who runs avarage 10 mi per day) and he was better hydrated than me. Still... .
I had climbed several 14K peaks with no problem. Then, one day, on a 11-12K foot peak.

PAZOOMMAAA!!!!!

The thin air hit me and hit me hard. I had the worst headache that I had on at least 30 years, and, if I had anything in my stomach, it would have come up.

Why did I have no problems at higher elevations, then at a lower one get hit so hard? Dunno, but it happened. I know it, and my head knew it.

Great Pictures, like you, I probably wouldnt be able to put the camera away either! :)

7summits, I really like your new avatar, but you might want to consider clicking here :) ...
click

7s.....thanks for sharing your trip report....my sentiments are similar to those already posted.....i respect and envy your intentions.....

did my mother take the photo of you in your avatar???? :p

...jade