N & S Kinsman via Mt Kinsman Trail & Kinsman Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandside

Reaction score
Saturday October 18th 2008

Trail Conditions: dry leaves, deep in places, wet leaves, some mud, mostly a dry trail, but icy in some places above 3000', no blowdowns to speak of, no problem water crossings. Trails seemed very well maintained.

Special Equipment Required: The usual - fleece, windbreaker, gloves, hat, hiking poles, good boots...

Nice even trail, starting in beautiful autumn woods, covered with colorful leaves fresh from the trees. I love that smell don't you?! The more elevation I gain, the more brown the leaves on the ground are. Another 1000' up and there will be only needles on the ground!

Be careful - the trail takes a right turn about .9 miles in, and the arrow on the tree is small, I almost missed it, except for the pile of branches also blocking the way forward, made me look around ... and soon they will be covered with snow.

I didn't really see any ice until about 3500', where any seepage, or even places where other boots had tracked mud, were now frozen. Most of the ice was on the north side, so the hike between the two Kinsmans was nice, only the decent from north and down the Mount Kinsman trail were the real challenge.

Just as I reached the summit of North Kinsman, a glider flew swiftly and silently directly over our heads, it was really cool! A great day to be hiking. This was #34 & 35 for me.

And it was nice to meet Yvon coming the other way on the Kinsman Ridge trail!

My camera batteries were running low, so I only got limited pictures and video, but here's the resulting video trip report....

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=49-Mzkn8sto

islandside2000 AT yahoo DOT com

Last edited: