N. Twin Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sp1936

Reaction score
Whoever maintains this trail, if you're out there, thank you for clearing all those blowdowns this week. You made my hike out on Thursday a hell of a lot easier than my hike in on Tuesday.

Steve

I ran into the trail crew on Tuesday coming down North Twin. They were from the Forest Service. I'm hoping it was my parking fee money at work. :) They were doing what one of them described as Phase 1 Trail Maintenance. That is clearing water bars and blow downs. I asked if they were planning on brushing or putting in rock steps on the eroded sections. That's apparently a different Phase then they have planned for this year.

You have to appreciate the work those guys do. The temp's were in the 80's with very high humidity. They were covered in sweat with clouds of Black Flies hovering around them. It's got to be a tough way to earn a living.

sp1936 has it right. The trip down was a lot easier with the blowdowns cleared.

Glenn

Some trail crews are paid, but a lot of the basic work (blowdowns, drainage clearing, brushing) on trails is done by volunteers. That's the way it is with AMC maintained trails anyway. The paid "professionals" are really tough workers, and perform mostly the heavy duty stuff, like putting in rock steps (as Glenn mentions), water bars and dips.