Name the landmark

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski_adk

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me if there's a name to this place. It's the the barn along Rte. 73, where it joins up with 9N just north of Marcy Airport. Thank you very much!

GAL_Summer5.jpg

I wonder if that's the place my math teacher referred to when he said, "You don't need to go around Robin Hood's barn to solve this equation." :D

I was reading in the Ausable River Association's literature that there is a glacial feature near that intersection called a "kame" (A conical hill, composed primarily of water-rounded sand and cobbles left by streams that flowed downward through cracks in the glacial ice. (from a glacier glossary web site)). I'm not sure of the exact location of the kame.

Hrm...

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. Since this is right along the road at a very prominent intersection, I couldn't help but think that there was some sort of name to this barn. That way, when I share this photo, I can give some reference to it besides "Adirondack Barn."

While you are one of many who has stopped to take a picture of this barn, it's never as far as I know been anything more than "the barn at the intersection". I don't believe this meadow was ever owned by the Luck family that did own the present airport. The State acquired the property in the early 60's when they improved Rt, 9N to Elizabethtown. For many years they allowed another local farm to cut hay from the field that was then stored in the barn. By the 90's, however, the hay crop had with weeds encroaching become too poor to feed to animals. The farm wanted to till the field and restore they hay crop, but the DEC thought that would look too much like agriculture and denied the request. Since then, the field is still mowed, but no hay is usually stored in the barn.

And yes, the kame is located right in the middle of that field. Some have wanted to call it an "indian mound", but a kame it truly is.

Thanks Tony!

Tony!
I greatly appreciate your correcting me on that one.
And it looks like I still owe you for the ride that day you spared me seemingly endless "highway- hiking"!

Thanks again,
Inge :)