Need advice: Hiking in bad weather ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a beautiful day to explore off-trail on a smaller mountain. There is no snow on the ground and it's late December, so you get to see things seldom or never seen. I suspect that some bucks and bulls have dropped their antlers by now. I also plan on inspecting more closely every tree hollow I see today to see if they all have the horizontal scratch marks inside, which apparently are made from the piliated's bill, not bear claws as I thought. I'm also looking for owl perches and signs of current bear activity.

This would also be a great day to search for old abandoned trails. I'll be searching for an old trail that used to run from South Baldface over Sable Mtn. and Chandler Mtn. and down to Slippery Brook Trail.

The forest is different from month to month, and now is a great opportunity to explore in late December.

Happy Trails :)

Thanks all. very good advices ...

I did the Flume Gorge loop (almost) and Bridal Veil Falls via Coppermine Tail in 12/23. the next day, mt. Mousilauke, very windy, cold, and foggy summit. Xmas day, walked around in the Washington Hotel and walked mt. Willard ...

Small hikes, but fun. :D

Last edited:
Stan said:
Another nice pond hike, thinking back to a drizzly October day over a year ago, is East Pond. If you feel adventurous you can make your way over to Little East Pond which might be interesting if there hasn't been any trail maintenance since then.

The trail from East to Little East pond is free and clear of blowdowns as of late September. Looked like work had been done recently then.