Need lightweight one-person tent advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight, one-person tent, please. I am interested in a fully enclosed tent with dedicated poles that has some fly space to cover a pack yet ventilates well, not in an ultra-minimalist open tarp or a tent that uses hiking poles for tent poles. Preferably 3 lbs. or below. Thanks.

I've got a SD Lightyear that I picked up for cheap on ePay, which I like a lot. Only used it a couple times so far, but it seems to get the job done. It's barely bigger than a sleeping bag, but has decent height so that I can sit fully erect inside (heh-heh, he said "erect").

It's a traditional body + separate fly construction with two hoop poles, with a vestibule at the head big enough for a pack and a pair of bootz. I can throw it on the scale tonight when I get home, but IIRC, it's somewhere in the 3 to 3-1/2 pound range.

I think the "problem" is this (and only you can decide): For about another pound you can get into a free standing, 2 person tent. I have never slept in the type of 1 person tent you're considering, but I've seen plenty of them in action. For me the extra pound/pound and a half is worth it. Any tent works well in clear, calm weather. I want a solid tent with some room when the weather heads south.

Big Agnes Seedhouse

I got the Seedhouse SL 2 a couple years ago from Campmor and I love it. I use it occasionally as a two person tent and it's of course, a tight fit, but do-able. As a one person it's da bomb! It sets up and takes down in a snap and it's free-standing. I know a few others who have the Big Agnes Seedhouse tents and they also really like them.

So, check out the Big Agnes Seedhouse and Seedhouse SL series. Good luck finding a new home! Maybe you could apply for some Stimulus Package money to finance it???? ;-)

I have the SL2 like Toe Cozy and I second everything she said. It's a great tent, a bit snug for two people but definitely doable. Plus it only weights like 3 lbs with everything. Well worth the extra room when going it alone.

I have the MSR Hubba and like it a lot. 3 lbs. Super easy set-up. Plenty of room to sit up given the vertical walls, room to stow things or hang items to dry from the ceiling. It's also pretty long - I'm 5'7, which leaves plenty of room at my head or feet for additional gear inside. The vestibule is adequate, although I wish the fly was slightly longer so it could be more flush to the ground when the weather's bad. All mesh, so on those nice nights you can watch the stars. All mesh, so not suitable for blustery winter conditions.

So, check out the Big Agnes Seedhouse and Seedhouse SL series. Good luck finding a new home! Maybe you could apply for some Stimulus Package money to finance it???? ;-)

$200 per pound ! The BA SH 2 can be had for $133 and has a listed trail weight of 3lb 14oz. Not bad. I own one. Really like it for myself and perhaps one son or wife. The BA SH SL2 is about $200 more with a listed trail weight of 2lb 14oz. :eek: wowzers. I don't know how they got a full pound off the 2, but concerned it might affect durability, and being cheap, I went with the 2.

The MSR Zoid 1 is somewhat comparable to the CD Clip Flashlight but it is a bit more square in the tent footprint so it might mean something if you are a rolling around sleeper type. The Zoid 1 is 3lbs something packed..

jay

I use a Marmot Eclipse, which is no longer made, but looking at the currently available tents, I think the Black Diamond HiLight looks pretty good.

I got the Seedhouse SL 2 a couple years ago from Campmor and I love it.

I agree with Toe Cozy.......also abusing the SL2 quite a bit. Great tent it is.....I had a solo tent but it's too claustrophobic......sold it....you also save time with more space......easier to get organized......I rather cut back on that extra lbs elsewhere.

Another one I use is the Black Diamond Lighthouse which weighs in at 3lb 3oz. It's a bit longer (87" compared to 84" for the SL2) for non-midgets.....the tent door also opens along the whole side so easy to get in and out.....vestibule is optional......

786572.jpg

I think the "problem" is this (and only you can decide): For about another pound you can get into a free standing, 2 person tent. I have never slept in the type of 1 person tent you're considering, but I've seen plenty of them in action. For me the extra pound/pound and a half is worth it. Any tent works well in clear, calm weather. I want a solid tent with some room when the weather heads south.

I agree, my marmont(2person) is just under 4# and its plenty of room for all gear and sleeping, also is freestanding with two doors/vestabules..I had two people and a lab in it once in Colorado.that was tight..:)

I agree with Toe Cozy.......also abusing the SL2 quite a bit. Great tent it is.....I had a solo tent but it's too claustrophobic......sold it....you also save time with more space......easier to get organized......I rather cut back on that extra lbs elsewhere.

Another one I use is the Black Diamond Lighthouse which weighs in at 3lb 3oz. It's a bit longer (87" compared to 84" for the SL2) for non-midgets.....the tent door also opens along the whole side so easy to get in and out.....vestibule is optional......

786572.jpg

I have a Black Diamond Hilight which is similar to the Lighthouse, except it's door only has a 1/2 window. It is I think marginably lighter than the lighthouse and is technically a 2 person tent although I consider it a 1+1 tent, which means it's really a solo tent unless you really have to squish somebody else in. Being a singlewall, it has to be pitched right to get the ventilation and probably not ideal in hot weather, it's a good fall/light winter tent that packs real small and is pretty sturdy and also freestanding.

Jay

I have a Black Diamond Hilight which is similar to the Lighthouse, except it's door only has a 1/2 window. It is I think marginably lighter than the lighthouse and is technically a 2 person tent although I consider it a 1+1 tent, which means it's really a solo tent unless you really have to squish somebody else in. Being a singlewall, it has to be pitched right to get the ventilation and probably not ideal in hot weather, it's a good fall/light winter tent that packs real small and is pretty sturdy and also freestanding.

Jay

The fabric is also highly breathable so no issues with condensation......both of them you can open the whole side as seen above so I think ventilation is very good. You also set it up from the inside so if you get caught in bad weather you just jump inside and start the set-up. 87" vs. 80" makes me favor the 1/2 lbs heavier Lighthouse. I got my Lighthouse "pre-owned" on E-Bay......bought the vestibule separately (also on E-Bay). About $300 with vestibule and footprint....new brings it to about $600 retail (with footprint and vestibule)....

And of course the Seedhouse SL 2 you can pitch with just the mesh netting and gaze at the stars......with a basket of champagne, grapes and cheese....the SL3 might come in handy here;)

Yes, but I can qualify myself as being tiny and not as tall as you Mats. :) The Hilight is under 3lbs and I'm sure part of the reason is the half window on the door..

I'm looking for recommendations for a lightweight, one-person tent, please. I am interested in a fully enclosed tent with dedicated poles that has some fly space to cover a pack yet ventilates well, not in an ultra-minimalist open tarp or a tent that uses hiking poles for tent poles. Preferably 3 lbs. or below. Thanks.

Have you ever considered a hammock?

http://www.junglehammock.com/

If you don't want to but one you can make one easy enough.

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/HammockKits.htm

Try it you might like it. :)

Jay
I also have the Hilight... great tent for days when you don't expect it to rain or be too hot. The Epic fabric is NOT waterproof, only water-resistant... so just keep that in mind. It's my go-to winter rig.