new member introduction!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateinCT

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been lurking here for the past few months and have been impressed by the comraderie and great information so I decided to join up!

I have been out east for the past year or so and before that lived in Japan for a few years where I was very fond of motorcycle touring. Tonnes of fun, that!

I am getting more into winter hiking (picked up some snowshoes in January) and mountaineering and look forward to running into y'all out in the wilderness!

ps- my first foray into real winter mountains is next Monday; a friend and I are taking EMS's mountaineering/Mt Washington summit one-day course. We also plan on heading out hiking Sunday afternoon and Tuesday morning. I'd love any suggestions for something fun nearby! Thanks.

Noob

I just started on VFTT this month and i LOVE IT!!! I too am just starting out winter hiking and snowshoeing. I am also working on the 48 and am looking forward to finishing in 2 yrs. In my opinion, Mt. Pierce is a great winter hike and is very picturesque. I had fun doing it. It says that you are in New Haven. If so, Sleeping Giant is a great hiking spot, its really great for conditioning for a backpacking trip! You said your buing snowshoes? Could you recommend a pair for me because I need a good pair.
thanks ;)

Last edited:
hiya

Hey Gorp!

Yeah, I live at the foot of West Rock so I usually hike there, but Sleeping Giant is great. A friend and I were there last Sunday when some yahoo tried to rappel while anchored to a rusty iron pole and fell 60 feet or something. Didn't die, but his pit-bull was running all over the park freaking out! Crazy day.

I bought the MSR Lightening Ascents in January. I am liking them a lot. They are the first snowshoes I've used so I don't have much to compare them too, but I have been impressed with their construction, design, and weight. They are super grippy too. I am looking forward to playing around near My Washington on Sunday and Tuesday on either end of the class/climb. Mine were about $250 when I bough them, but I noticed them on sale online somewhere for around $17o lately...maybe Mtn Gear? I forget.

Cheers.

thanks for the warm welcome guys!
let's see, i can get a regular winter outfit because Artex recommended the crampons and Nate recommended the snowshoes!

P.S. NAte, if you like to rock climb go to Prime Climb in Wallingford, it rocks!

Nate, to keep in shape you might want to put in a few miles on the Blue Trail system. It's 400 mi of trails maintained by the CT Forest & Park Assn. The have an office in Middlefield and publish a hike book called, Connecticut Walk Book. Last I knew it was in its 13th edition. Hikes are ankle busters due to the traprock terrain in these parts. You might want to try doing Mt. Higby and Lamentation Peak along Rte. 91 on the Meriden/Middlefield town line. Decent stroll w/ good ups and downs to two 800ft peaks. Nice views from Higby into the valley. P.S. I live in Rocky Hill.

Nate,
Welcome to the board. I too live in CT and have hiked Sleeping Giant a few times. One time we took our bikes up there and rode the auto-road down. What a ride! Teenagers will do anything for fun I guess... If you are ever looking for someone local to do some dayhikes, I'd love the company.

-percious

NateinCT said:
Hey Gorp!

Yeah, I live at the foot of West Rock so I usually hike there, but Sleeping Giant is great. A friend and I were there last Sunday when some yahoo tried to rappel while anchored to a rusty iron pole and fell 60 feet or something. Didn't die, but his pit-bull was running all over the park freaking out! Crazy day.

Cheers.

Would that be Westville? There is a great trail that leads North out of West rock and continues all the way into Cheshire. I am thinking of doing that this weekend via Brooksvale Park in Hamden. If you are staying in the area over the summer and would like to hook up my son and I are looking to have a big peak bagging season.

Northford here

Welcome to FVTT, guys.

I walk to the Blue Trail from my back door - it's a fantastic training area and great get-a-way place with nice views when time is of the essence.

Am always up for local day hikes. Let's get together...

Since this seems to be a CT delegation, I might as well chime in. I live in Cheshire and work across the street from Sleeping Giant. My sister and I (she lives in Guilford) get together on occasion and do some of the hikes in the CT walk book. Although I hike primarily in the White Mountains (have a place in Thornton), I do hike in CT during mud season. My sister and I have done all of the hikes that dennis mentioned, and had a great time.

p.s. Bolivia: I grew up in Northford and lived on Lakeview Ave. until I was twelve. The blue trail was my stomping ground when I was a kid.

This is great! Think of all the car pool possibilities. Lets post our trips to the Whites perhaps there is room for one more or we could spot cars.

PS It is snowing in CT it could be a x country weekend.

The blue trail system is great. I have biked probably 50-60 miles of it. I use it for training, and bonding time with my son. Car pooling is a great idea, so is having a VFTT CT get-together. Maybe we could all hike Talcot, or SG together. There is also a place in Haddam I think... Castle Craig or something... I forgot?

-percious

A get together sounds great. i am hiking somewhere this weekend probably sunday. SG is a good thought. Sat there is a New Haven Bird Club outing starting at 8 down in Stratford.

I am the opposite of Mad River, I live near sleeping giant and work in Cheshire. If anyone is interested we could meet in the main parking lot across from Quinipiac in the am and take it from there.

I'm interested. Saturday is doable, gotta check with my wife. Looks like we might need snowshoes. Interested in taking the blue trail to the top? Will we need crampons on the hairier sections? I have never been there in winter b4.

-percious

I will keep a watch on the conditions. It depends on how much snow we get and if there is much icing afterwards. We could make a long hike of it (S CT standards) and do the head...come down to the tower road and take that to the tower then continue going east along the ridge to the foot.

Precious could Sunday work for you also? I could, however, change my plans if that is the consensus.

Actually, Sunday is better. I have hockey sat night, and I need all the energy I have for that. What time did you want to meet up assuming my wife is ok with taking care of my son? How long of a hike is this?

-percious

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on your viewpoint, I will be in NH skiing this weekend. What I like about SG is that you can hike for several hours and not meet a soul if you do the outer trails. I usually park on Tuttle Ave. and head up the red trail and go from there. I never, repeat never go near the “castle”. There are also several cliffs that are open to a good bushwhack from the hip to the chest. If I need a quick fix and I cannot head north, I just do the giant for a few hours.

percious said:
Actually, Sunday is better. I have hockey sat night, and I need all the energy I have for that. What time did you want to meet up assuming my wife is ok with taking care of my son? How long of a hike is this?

-percious

We can pin these details down in a few days. Perhaps we can start around 9:00. There are so many trails and options we can make the hike as long or short as we want.