New Sleds

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked the one you had at the Xmas bird count. What was that called, and where did you get it?
I think you are referring to the same thing as Bignslow's Link above.

They are light for sure. The only problem is that you feel every bump!

The missle sled looks like an updated swiss bob. Even though Swiss bobs are out of production or no loger imported they routinely show up on Ebay. Recently they were going for around $20 plus shipping.

In scratchy terrain with occasional sticks and rocks its nice to have a bit of cushioning compared to the single sheet design.

Paul and Chip, I also own both of those. The plastic shovel was a little too small, or the wrong kind of plastic for sliding. It had to be pretty much pure ice before it would go anywhere. Also, the handles were pretty much right down on the ground/snow/ice, so a little shift left or right and you could be rubbing your hands/gloves on the surface/rocks! :eek:

I still have a Swissbob or 2 at home, somewhere, but they are a lot heavier than the 'spons'. I might bring that for a short hike where I KNOW there will be good sliding.

If sled riding hills are any guide, the inflatable plastic tire-tube types of 'sleds' seem to work quite well! :D

We've got both the swiss bobs and the little blue spoon type sled from ems... Swiss Bob = much better for adults - they're faster and have more cushion from the bumps on the ground... Spoons = much better for the munchkins - lighter (so they can carry their own), easier to control, and they go slower so Mom doesn't have to worry watching them plow down the trail at warp speed.

I can't imagine how you could strap those Zipfy sleds to your pack....that handle sticking out of the back is sure to get you some looks. ;)

I have both the TSL Quicky Sled and the Swiss Bob. The Swiss Bob is definitely better in terms of cushioning you from rocks and goes faster than the TSL. Of course, depending on your tolerance for sledding fast, the TSL might be better. The Swiss Bobs can go frighteningly fast. :eek:

I just bought the "spoon" type from EMS, because they're on sale. I saw the other two kinds at the store. Big and bulky, that's all I could think about. The Swiss Bob I own is already bulky enough, and I'm beginning to phase it out. The "updated" Swiss Bob is much more bulky than the original. It might be fun for some base camp sledding, but I'd never bring it up a peak for a full hike.

As for the Swiss Bob going fast, it's quite true. But if you lean way back, and dig the triangle-like tail into the snow, it acts as a good brake. It's all about technique ;)

These are what Nicole and I use:
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3655490

They're faster than just snow pants, but not too fast, and their negligible weight makes them perfect for hiking

I remember getting caught below the summit in a snowstorm sometimes around 1999 with a friend. We were a few hundred feet below the exposed peak and we decided to turn around and make a quick descent. I reached into my backpack's beavertail, grabbed the handle and quickly pulled out the sled. My big mittens however did not have a firm grip and the sled was literally yanked out of my hand by the wind and flew into the sky, upwards until it disappeared. I ended up sliding on my but the few hundred feet until we reached the safety of the treeline :)

I like the looks of the TSL design and had wondered how they are. I get uncomfortable using the swissbob with both hands and not having the ability to grab a trailside tree to slow down once in a while. If you only use one hand on the swiss bob steering gets iratic. At least using the TSL would save my Marmot's and could double as one big dinner plate!;)

I can't imagine how you could strap those Zipfy sleds to your pack....that handle sticking out of the back is sure to get you some looks. ;)

We hiked up Moosilauke a few weeks ago and someone had one there. It did much better than one of the spoons or an ASOD (aka: Swiss-Bob). It is much larger, but went so well I was impressed.

...depending on your tolerance for sledding fast, the TSL might be better. The Swiss Bobs can go frighteningly fast. :eek:

Got to work on perfecting my swiss bob technique coming off S Hancock this weekend.
If you sit right up on the sled it goes very fast. You can check your speed a couple of ways:
-Pull the sled out from under you.
-Put the sled under your pack but don't sit on it.
-Put the sled under just one leg. More weight on the sled for fast, less for slow.

Disclaimer: I like to go fast.

I got to try both the missle and the spoon (single layer) sleds a couple weeks ago coming off of Moriah.

The spoon sled is very light and easy to pack up the hill, but the ride down left my rear end pretty sore. It is also more difficult to control.

The Missle sled is bigger and bulky. But the ride was faster, more controled, and more comfortable.

I would pack in the missle if I knew the sledding would be good. The spoon sled if I was not so sure about sledding conditions.

Last edited:
The trick that works for me for a Swiss bob is to tie my snowshoes vertically from the back face of my pack with the tails sticking below the bottom of the pack. When I want to go fast, I lean forward, when I need to slow down I lean back and the snowshoe tails sticking down into the snow work well as a speed brake. Obviously the snow has to have some "give" for this to work.

I have encountered too many protruding rocks and branches on sliding runs to want to make the switch to the the TSL single layer design as the Swiss Bob works real well for absorbing and distributing the impact, wherein I dont think the TSL's would do much.

I suspect members of the broken/bruised tailbone club could comment ;)

The Mad River Rockets look very cool but no way I'm going down a tight trail kneeling on one of these! In nice deep powder in the open - fine. We've had a Swiss Bob for years and never really used it before last year. Played with it for a couple of days on the sledding hill next to Cardigan Lodge. Lots of fun! Haven't had the nerve to try it on the trail yet. This thing flies!

090102-164754.jpg

I've been content to butt slide on...well, my butt. But after this thread, and THIS VIDEO (I think Tom Rankin originally posted it on ADKHP), I may take my Swiss Bob with me next time.

Warning - the video may cause motion sickness...