NH 4000 ft Awards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raymond said:
I think the same thing happened to Dawn and Tom, but I wouldn't swear to it. By the way, did Mike announce how many of us applied for 111er membership this year? I didn't catch the number, if he did. I believe Gene (Daniell) said it was 332 who applied for White Mountain 4K membership, way above the old record.

We both got what we were supposed to, but the envelope was mis-labeled. No biggie.

As for the trip report:

In spite of the much feared mud, there was almost none. And the views and the weather were great! If I get my act togehter, I'll post some pics.

Does anyone know who made the VFTT sign with sticks at the bottom of the firetower ?

fun time at the FTFC dinner and at Portsmouth Brewery afterwards

congrats to SherpaKroto on reaching "Old Man of the Mountain" status ! thanks for showing up so we could celebrate (mourn the loss of) your youth ;)

happy birthday to SherpaK and Audrey !

Last edited:
My one regret was not being able to take that cake with me. Arm/Ski_Mom - you don't know how much I regretted being able to take it. It would not have made it through the 74 degree temps in a locked car at Pinkham Notch.

Best weekend in memory for me (I've been saying that a lot lately! I'm starting to feel like Donna at BSP ;)). Anytime you can sandwich an awards dinner for so many friends who mean so much to you between a day of glacier training and a day climbing a gully with Frodo and Harry (Arm said he tweaked a knee, but I suspect it was an elbow), you know your life is full sleep deprived, but full). Days like this is what will keep me young (despite pictures that say otherwise). I am truly blessed to call you my friends. I don't deserve it, but I do love you all for it! I was completely floored, and could only see all of you through misty eyes. Thanks! With any luck, I'm only 1/2 way there!

I have pictures of all who received awards (that I knew from hiking with them). I did not get AMSTony's pic - so sorry. I will post them, hopefully tonight (but after climbing with Frodo and Harry yesterday, my arms aren't working well today!) I should have just kept shooting, and matched up the names of those I didn't know. Perhaps everyone could attach a pic of them as they received their awards?

If this keeps up, they'll have to rename it the VFTTFTFC :)

To all who received their NH48. Please join your fellow VFTTers at the Fall Gathering! You'll easily climb 2 more on your quest for the 111. Once you admit that you are not done, life gets easier :)

BTW, Heather: Seema got it right. I heard the same thing (HIKES).

Lastly: Happy Birthday Audrey (and Meri!), Congrats also to askus3 who drove a lot of miles to make that banquet to receive his reward! Good to see you there!

Last edited:
sli74 said:
I could be wrong but I thought I heard her say "hiking with someone who HIKES like that will get you in trouble" and I THINK she was refering to the speed at which the guy sped down to the front, leaving his girlfriend? in the dust :) and I think she meant that Tom also hikes that fast?

I could be wrong but that is what I heard and infered from her comment.

sli74
ha ! Clayton and I have going back and fourth over all the possible explanations. What we heard was "hiking with someone like that can get you into trouble." Which could mean a number of things. It is funny though that people noticed Clayt's fast strut...he's usually a good quarter mile ahead of me on the trail...one of his steps equals about three and a half of mine.....(but I finished the 48 first!) :)

We were at the brewery (upstairs)till shut down as well (I didn't recognize anyone from the awards , but I already had quite a glow going by the time we got there…)

I guess my dirty mind just assumed she was referring to Clayton's looks rather than his hiking speed -- particularly when she made the reference to her own husband, Tom! Either way, it was priceless. :D

Heather said:
We were at the brewery (upstairs)till shut down as well (I didn't recognize anyone from the awards , but I already had quite a glow going by the time we got there…)

Hmm I was at the Porsmouth Brewery donwnstairs. After my solo on Mt Tom. I did not go to the awards...I am not eligible yet, still working on it. I wish I had known that there were VFTT people there.

BTW the downstairs bar gave a free beer for anyone who could answer this question..."Who was the winning General at the Battle og Gettysburg?" the Imperial stout tastes even better when it is a prize

bigmoose said:
Congrats also to -
John S., Little Bear, Jean and Nat, Arm, Julie Cantdog, Spongebob, Dawn, Aaron Askus3...
Maybe documentarian Sherpa K will post pix of us in our glory poses....

OI Vey... Sherpa K is the BIG BROTHER of the documentarian SHERPA J.. I don't want Sherpa K to keep getting all the credit!

Go Here for a pic of Sherpa K with his picture and my old man tattoo: http://homepage.mac.com/gr8stnface/PhotoAlbum17.html

Last edited:
Sherpa John -
Forgive me my faux pas --
You're the video documentarian, of course, but your (much) older namesake is the digital still chronicler, i suppose.
I didn't get to meet you at the event...I was going to cross paths with you guys in the Pawtuckaways, but I had to go earlier...waited at the tower a spell, and had to bail, leaving a "VFTT" spelled out in white birch twigs at the base...
Now if you aspire to be a true VFTT chronicler, you'd have made an image of that and included it in your picture post!!!
So, mystery solved, new 111r Tom Rankin. It was me, 111r #399.
JT

just because nobody knows me..

you know you could have clapped more for me. I walked all the way back to my seat to the thunderous roar of nothing. Someone could have at least played the crickets sound effect,

:(

SteveHiker said:
you know you could have clapped more for me. I walked all the way back to my seat to the thunderous roar of nothing. Someone could have at least played the crickets sound effect,

:(

CLAP !!! CLAP !!! CLAP !!!

Congrats, and sorry about the lack of ovation. But ya gotta admit, it did get a little boring, and it went a little loooooooong, eh! :D

The Problem was Gene Daniel... No offense to the guy but man...

People were moaning everytime he started talking...one time he started talking and the people sitting in front of me said, "ok, thats enough" and the got up and left.

My dad was there and it was his 3rd Awards diner. He said this one was the worst. He thought it was nice that people got to take pictures but it never used to be like that. Usually they just read the names off and didn;t even wait for people to walk allllllllllll the way down and so on and so on.

Gris -- do you mean the befuddled, clueless look on my face??? ;)

Steve: Poison Ivy and I actually did a double take and thought that was you, we even looked around for you afterward, but couldn't find you. I figured it was our imagination playing tricks on us, and that it really wasn't you. Next time: come on up and introduce yourself! Better yet -- give a shout and let's go for a hike! :)

The weirdest part of the night was figuring out what people's real names are after just knowing them for so long by trail names. I mentioned to one of the committee members afterward that they should include trail names in the readings, but they didn't seem keen on the idea.

My wife and I were there to receive our all season White Mountain patch. Anyone that saw the dog ceremony may recognize my avitar as both our girls received their all season patches and scrolls as well. I thought the ceremony was pretty good. It was not a dragged out as I thought it was going to be. :eek:

BTW, HarryK -- what's up with those poles you were carrying around on your back? They're almost as tall as you are! :eek:

Congratulations everybody :)

So, now everyone else has got their patches already it should be a short night when I go next year... :D

Bob