NH hikers murdered

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's still surprisingly controversial as a subject, but this incident highlights the need for self protection. I rarely if ever go out without carrying a firearm anymore. When in the mountains, I feel safe and once I get on the trails, I usually pack it away. On local walks like this area or the many downtowns we walk, I carry. Make no mistake about it, there are copious amounts of very bad people among the general population. Everybody should sit down and ask themselves. Ok, what if I do run into a bad person and there is no help anywhere around? If your current plan is the ever popular " Please don't hurt me method", you should give it some serious thought. I was at the Canterbury rest area one fine weekday morning walking my dog, on our way up North. A man came out of the woods and approached me, asking me if I wanted a good time? My dog who rarely gets agitated, got very unsettled. I told him to leave immediately and he did. I then called the state police and reported the incident. I was told that that area is not patrolled by local PD and that the state police are to busy to question perverts. I was not pleased with this answer.

LOL Fox article has better information. Sorry, I guess.... :D

In Fox article, follow link to NECN (local) article. This gives details.

Looks like they were walking the power lines from behind their place. The police activity was all at the sandy pullout alongside the power lines, not actually at the Broken Ground trails.

Disclaimer: I have never been there, but you can learn a lot from NECN helicopter or drone video and google maps.

I know it's still surprisingly controversial as a subject, but this incident highlights the need for self protection. I rarely if ever go out without carrying a firearm anymore. When in the mountains, I feel safe and once I get on the trails, I usually pack it away. On local walks like this area or the many downtowns we walk, I carry. Make no mistake about it, there are copious amounts of very bad people among the general population. Everybody should sit down and ask themselves. Ok, what if I do run into a bad person and there is no help anywhere around? If your current plan is the ever popular " Please don't hurt me method", you should give it some serious thought. I was at the Canterbury rest area one fine weekday morning walking my dog, on our way up North. A man came out of the woods and approached me, asking me if I wanted a good time? My dog who rarely gets agitated, got very unsettled. I told him to leave immediately and he did. I then called the state police and reported the incident. I was told that that area is not patrolled by local PD and that the state police are to busy to question perverts. I was not pleased with this answer.

If I lived in Southern NH I would carry full time as well. Chances are much higher down South and into Massachusetts. Too many crimmals out about with multible felony's etc out there today.

When attacked, you need to be willing to kill otherwise carrying is pointless. It's not something everyone can do. If you can and when you have it with you great. If in your household, do you know all household members are willing to kill an intruder? Can you bring it to work? In CT, many who carry have decals on their vehicles, CCDL. It's nice they identify themselves. If I watch their home and see they work Monday -Friday and their house is empty during the week because they work and the kids are at school, there is likely at least one unattended gun in the home. B&E isn't that difficult, especially in wooded communities where many people work. (Harder with doorbell camera's but front doors aren't likely an intruder's entry point. Not thinking must property theft is that well planned, however, if you are advertising at least one possession in the home you likely don't bring to work, it might be worth it)

Yes, responsible gunowners lock up their weapons. However, as we know, too many don't. Here is an article on stolen firearms: https://www.americanprogress.org/ar...sis/?msclkid=f3726410c43f11ecb2d93c6cf6fd355b (I'm guessing it's likely biased with a left leaning bias)

The couple were shot multiple times and without any additional info, were they ambushed randomly while out for a hike or followed from home?

Loss of life is a tragedy, especially in this manner. For the people who live in the area, the fact that the gunman is still at large must be very concerning.

Last edited:
I was at the Canterbury rest area one fine weekday morning walking my dog, on our way up North. A man came out of the woods and approached me, asking me if I wanted a good time? My dog who rarely gets agitated, got very unsettled. I told him to leave immediately and he did. I then called the state police and reported the incident. I was told that that area is not patrolled by local PD and that the state police are to busy to question perverts. I was not pleased with this answer.

Dude you got hit on at a rest stop. You told him to go away and he did. Not exactly a resounding reason why one should be strapped at all time.

If I lived in Southern NH I would carry full time as well. Chances are much higher down South and into Massachusetts. Too many crimmals out about with multible felony's etc out there today.

You know you've been living in the woods too long but when you need firearms to feel safe in the cutthroat urban jungle of Southern New Hampshire. :p

I'm teasing you guys but honestly I'm 44 years old, been in some sketchy places in my life and not once felt the need to get a gun to feel safe. Beyond the responsibility, which is considerable, the weapon would only be useful if I was ready and able to use it at all times. That's not me and frankly I don't think that's how we should behave in civilized society. Violent crime is awful, but thankfully it is also rare, and I have no interest in carrying a firearm everywhere in the hope that it'll make a difference if that unlikely situation should occur.

Anyway this thread will likely be closed soon and just as well because sad as this incident is it doesn't really have anything to do with the backcountry.

A map of the state's crime rates would suggest otherwise.

Dude you got hit on at a rest stop. You told him to go away and he did. Not exactly a resounding reason why one should be strapped at all time.

When this happened to me in Bushnell Park when I was between wives, (early 90's), I just had to wear my wedding ring when I went shirtless in the park

At the time I was playing a lot of beach volleyball so I was tanning at lunch to avoid having to wear my too much lotion during tournaments. Setters prefer a ball not covered in SPF50 and since I liked hitting I did whatever it took to make the setter happy. Unhappy setters set others or they go over the net on two.

Status
Not open for further replies.