North and South Weeks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Farrell

Reaction score
I would like to plan a hike up N & S Weeks. Is the lower section of the York Pond Tr. still closed by the landowner? If so, what the best way to get to the Kilkenny Ridge Tr.? And is the lower section of the trail near the fish hatchery?

Thanks, Farmer Bob

The York Pond Trail and the trail head are on WMNF land, so there are no issues of private land access. I think you are getting this confused with the access to the Mt. Cabot Trail, which does pass thru several private areas, one of which is still a problem. :eek:

York Pond Trail up to Willard Notch is a nice trail; the route up Kilkenny Ridge Trail over North, Middle, and South Weeks (and back) is a beautiful hike through some wonderful boreal (is that the right word) forest, open and old, full of ferns and moss. You will enjoy this hike. :)

Go in past the fish hatchery and continue up the road. The small parking area for the York Pond and Bunnell Notch Trails (they're the same for the first 500' or so) is directly across the road from a large, fenced-in fish pen.

Thanks for the help.

I think I'll do the Weeks next year with Jenifer and make it a backpacking weekend. It is an aweful long drive to get there so we will make a weekend out of it.

Farmer Bob

I went over Starr King and Waumbek to South, Middle, and North Weeks, and back again, last year in a day trip. I can’t recall right now how long it took me, but it wasn’t too bad. Nine hours, maybe, perhaps less. When I get home, I’ll look to see if I wrote it down and report back later.

I enjoyed the hike very much. The Weekses were 98th and 99th of my New England Hundred Highest list, so there’s a bit of sentimentality there, I suppose.

Frodo said:
The York Pond Trail and the trail head are on WMNF land, so there are no issues of private land access. I think you are getting this confused with the access to the Mt. Cabot Trail, which does pass thru several private areas, one of which is still a problem. :eek:

I'm fairly sure that the western end of the York Pond trail also passes through a problematic area and is not to be used at this time.

The west end of the York Pond Trail is actually at a junction with the Mt Cabot Trail maybe a quarter mile in from the closed trailhead.

Bob, It's an easy hike. The only real climb is North Weeks, and it is not bad at all. I did it in and out and then drove back to Boston during a weekend of 906.5 miles of driving, and hiking the Cannon Balls, Kinsmans, Breadloaf, Wilson, and the Weeks. Fall is a great time to do this hike, just do it before hunting season!

Well, it actually took me 9 hours 37 minutes. Here’s my breakdown:

Begin: 7:40 a.m.
Starr King: 9:10 a.m.
Waumbek: 9:40 a.m.
South Weeks: 10:50 a.m.
North Weeks: 12:20 p.m.

Leave North Weeks: 12:36 p.m.
South Weeks: 2:00 p.m.
Waumbek: 3:23 p.m.
Starr King: 4:00 p.m.
End: 5:17 p.m.

That was exactly 51 weeks ago today.