NYSDEC Web Site

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bachand

Reaction score
Does anyone have the web site from the NYSDEC that lists when Elk lake road and Corey's Road trails close?

Marc

DEC website

It isn't always the best source for up-to-date information, but it was updated on December 4.

DEC Trail information

The DEC trails from the Elk Lake Trailhead are now open to the public. However, the gate at Clear Pond on the Elk Lake Road is closed to motorized access until Spring. The gate is 2 miles from the Elk Lake trailhead - plan accordingly.

The web address that beverly mentions is the main page the DEC uses to get information out on trails.

Additional information regarding latest news can also be found here.

A breakout of important sites and information has been summarized here.

Corey's Road and Elk Lake

Corey's Road; From my experience with accessing this trail head- the road's drivability depends on the weather conditions. It is not gated, and usually can be driven to the River crossing at Axton Landing (there is a widening of the road to accomodate parked cars). Some winters I have driven to the summer trailhead and some years not- in which case you walk the road. If you do drive the road- have a 4-wheel drive and chains.

Elk Lake; you park your car at Johnston's Clearing and then walk the road to the summer tailhead. But be advised- the road is not maintained to Johnston's Clearing and if it snows it can be hard to drive. One year it snowed while we were hiking and it was difficult to drive out after. The snow level tickling the SUV's belly, but luckily we had chains and the other car drove in our tracks. Some years you might have to walk the entire length of this road.

woodstrider said:
Corey's Road; From my experience with accessing this trail head- the road's drivability depends on the weather conditions. It is not gated, and usually can be driven to the River crossing at Axton Landing (there is a widening of the road to accomodate parked cars). Some winters I have driven to the summer trailhead and some years not- in which case you walk the road. If you do drive the road- have a 4-wheel drive and chains.

This has been my experience as well in previous years. I was there on 11/26 and I noticed there are new signs which state Road Closed 12/10-5/1. Does anyone know if this means the road will be gated during this period this year?

Corey's Road Gate

A few weeks ago when walking out of the Cold River and driving away from the Sewards summer trailhead we noticed a sign that said gate will be closed as of Dec 10. So far, I haven't been able to get confirmation that it will be the case but with this week snow it may already be a long walk to the Sewards Range...

During the winter of 2005/2006 construction work was taking place on a Ampersand Lake property therefore the road was plowed and cleared of fallen trees most of the winter giving us all a easy access to the Sewards.

Corey's Road

I do nopt believe they gate the road as there are private inholding down the road.

In any case- it is wise to have a "plan B" in your bag of tricks. Like- a pair of skiis. I have both walked the road (not bad) when it was a sheet of ice and driven.

In any case- nothing we can do about it if it is gated anyway-you just have to deal. No guarantees in life, Dude.

Last edited: