OBP, Lafayette, and Franconia ridge conditions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchberry

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the conditions are like going up OBP to Greenleaf Hut? This is my primary question, but if you also know what conditions are like from the Hut to the summit of Lafayette, and then the ridge, and then the Falling Waters Trail heading downhill, that would be great.

I know that there is still some snow and ice up there, my questions are at what elevation does it start, and are crampons or snowshoes needed? Or, are there just icy/snowy sections where crampons/snowshoes would get in the way? Any deep snow where I might posthole? I'm heading up on Saturday. Thanks in advance!!

i just read something - somewhere (becuase I was looking same info) that is was barebootable the entire way. I would be shocked if there was that much snow still on ridge. But - don't hold me to it. I may go this weekend myself and will bring crampons just in case - but probably they won't used. If memory serves me correct - the OBP can stay pretty icy for a while and be a pain the arse to descend when icy.

I'd be happy to post a report when I'm back...I'm heading up there with a bunch of Girl Scouts (middle school and high school), so my weekend should be very indicative of how challenging the OBP is :) I am going to bring crampons for myself, but I think that the girls assume it is barebootable...any further info would be appreciated!

Bunchberry,
You will probably find Crampons and poles on the usefull on a few sections of the OBP and a mountaineering axe and cramponson a good part of the Falling Waters trail It can get icy near the stream and falls if the temps stay cool enough. . Also you might want to go up The Falling waters and down the OBP It might be a bit safer as coming down the falling waters with ice can be time consuming and more difficult than going up it if it is icy. I am also thinking about the Franconia Ridge if the weather is not too bad. SLI I will post a report for you if I go But if the cool weather pattern changes the condtions will of course be very different.

Last edited:
It's not only the elevation that determines conditions right now, but exposure. Above treeline, if it's in the sun, the cdx will probably be good. But above about 3,000, north-facing trails or those out of the sun still have a snowpack that has melted and refrozen as ice. The route you're talking about gets a lot of winter use, so the snow is packed in hard in the north-facing or sunless trails.

I went up Falling Waters and along the Franc Ridge to Lafayette on April 16th. We wore 6 point crampons from the first water crossing to treeline on Haystack. We barebooted from Haystack to the hut. The ridge for the most part was snow and ice free. Below the hut, was a mix of bare rock and deep, hard packed snow. I opted for 6 pointers from the hut down and ended up scraping the points a lot on the bare rock. There were several others who made it up and down without crampons.

Those were the conditions over a month ago. I don't know how much snow has fallen since and how much if any remains.

Have a great hike,
Glenn

Last edited:
thanks!

Thanks for all of your responses--now if the weather would just cooperate this weekend!! So one last time, anyone been up OBP this week that could offer some last minute specific information on trail conditions (I leave tomorrow after work)?? Thanks.