Odor resistant techwick?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasonst

Reaction score
I noticed that EMS seems to be on the cutting edge with their new techwick shirts that are stink resistant found here . Is this possible? :D Wow, wouldn't this revolutionize hiking? (seriously) I think I might have to try it out! Any other takers?

Gear Dork Alert!

Alright: What's the difference between Capilene, Bergalene, and the Techwick stuff? Here's why I ask. I've always worn Helly Hansen polypro for top (like the arms stripes, I feel fast!) and Patagonia capilene for bottoms. I can't find the Helly Hansen stuff to save my hide anymore, so I was gonna get a capilene or bergalene top for replacement. However, my bestest hiking buddy the whole world used EMS Bergalene for a season, and thought it was totally ineffective.

Are we deluding ourselves? I thought it was all the same polypro stuff. Anyone else notice a difference? Weave perhaps?

Edit: And keeping with the post, I like my hiking/polypro smell, so I hope the stuff doesn't work. My smell is very comforting. Is that strange too!?

huh?

What's the difference between Capilene & Bergalene? I have no idea. I'm not even sure what either one of those is.

I bought EMS TechWick (that's a brand name) summer and winter shirts, and have used one or the other on every hike for more than a year. For me, TechWick is perfect; and little odor.

Over the years I've found Capilene to be the most odor-resistant. I have a couple of EMS poly T-shirts (not Techwick) and they stink as soon as I start sweating. Unlike Seth, I don't find my own smell comforting.

audrey said:
Over the years I've found Capilene to be the most odor-resistant. I have a couple of EMS poly T-shirts (not Techwick) and they stink as soon as I start sweating. Unlike Seth, I don't find my own smell comforting.

I agree. I have used many different poly pro versions but have yet found one that does not stink. I must say, however, that the techwick is the most comfortable I have found so far.

The main difference I've noticed between Bergelene and capilene is that bergeline began to pill much faster. I've yet to wear out a capilene shirt.

Disclaimer: it's been a long time since I've owned a bergelene shirt, the fabric may have been reengineered since then.

Jasonst said:
I agree. I have used many different poly pro versions but have yet found one that does not stink. I must say, however, that the techwick is the most comfortable I have found so far.

It's not the shirt that stinks, it's you!! :D Besides the odor adds to the experience. ;)

Last edited:
Mountain Hardwear makes a line of odor resistent wicking clothes.
(The name escapes me right now I will check it out next time I'm at work..)

Jason, I am glad you asked about the Teckwick, I was thinking the same because I just got something in the mail about it from EMS and maybe might give it a try?

Wool is the king of the odor-resistant fabrics.

And Merino wool is very comfortable (non-scratchy).

I believe there are currently several manufacturers of Merino wool long underwear--Smartwool is one.

Doug

Warren said:
I've yet to wear out a capilene shirt.

I have, but it took a lot of work. It is really depressing. I don't want to get rid of the shirt, but it is really nothing more than a polypropelene handkerchief. Such good memories though.