Osceola via mt.osceola tr. 12-6-12.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
conditions;trail had trace snow at lower section with ice gradually taking over as you got to the top.The last .6 miles was a little hairy because of combo of a very wide trail and ice flows that had some character to them.Trail is very tight,nice work and very pleasant to climb.
equipment;barebooted to middle of trail and then put on micros.Like Bryan said in his report it was a full winter gear day.My pack was at about 17 pounds but included down and my sol bivy, just in case.......I did not bring snowshoes or crampons,but think the last part of this trail is just about at crampon stage.
comment;I felt comfortable with my git up[gear] and was able to really regulate my heat levels on the ascent which never happens for me any time of the year.I believe this was because I changed it up and used my summer rain coat as a shell which made me able to take advantage of side vents and etc.My face did get cold fast when uncovered which contrasted with other hikers I saw who had no hats on and looked fine and warm.Waterville valley was making some serious powder!Saw 5 others who all seemed to be very comfortable with winter and were very nice[one reason I love winter hiking],sometimes it is good to see more experienced people to learn from.Met the famous Pam B.,who owns Wash.,what a delight,she was not even breaking a sweat....Overall good pre season tune up:)
note;Tripoli road open as of 12-6-12.as always this time of year. leave open the possibility of a road walk.

Last edited: