Owls Head Trip Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam and Tom

Reaction score
Trip date: May 2-3 with an overnight after crossing Franconia Brook. The crossings of Franconia Brook and Lincoln Brook were difficult due to the force of the spring water and surging streams. We worked to find a spot where crossing was possible, but this required a significant loss of time, and in the end, we chose to just wade through which required a together approach to avoid being swept downstream.

Owls Head was snow covered with soft snow. The layer of snow is no longer deep (perhaps 1-3 feet at the deepest points), and post holing was the method used to climb. Plenty of ice remains on the mountain making some of the slide area dangerous. We noted a few insects (2 mosquitoes and 2 spiders and a fly). We noted a bear paw print in the soft snow.

After hiking up the Owls Head slide, we chose to bushwack to Franconica Falls trail in order to avoid two stream crossings. Even this approach required many, many small stream crossings ~but nothing of the magnitude of Franconia and Lincoln Brooks!

This was an amazing trip ~but I'd choose to do it during a drought next time!
My camera recording our trip was lost on the slide. I'd love to recover the camera, if possible.
Thank you,
Pam