Owl's Head via the slide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caveman77

Reaction score
Date of Hike: July 13, 2008 (This was day 4 of a longer hike over the Bonds, Zealand, Twins, and Garfield.)

Trails: Started this day at 13 Falls Tentsite. Lincoln Brook Trail south to slide. Up and down Owl's Head. Continued south on Lincoln Brook Trail, to Franconia Brook Trail, to Lincoln Woods Trail.

Trail Conditions: Between 13 Falls and the slide, one stretch of the Lincoln Brook Trail, about 500 feet long, was a maze of blowdowns over a muddy field and stream. There is no trail there, but after continuing southwards, the trail resumes. For a couple minutes, it seemed impassable and hopeless, but I made it through. Other than that, this segment was mostly dry and straightforward.

The unofficial trail up Owl's Head was clearly marked and easy to follow right up to the current cairn/sign/scrimshaw-fungus summit area. There were many blowdowns, but the branches have long since been removed, making them moot. One brook crossing on the Lincoln Brook Trail required wading up to my shins -- I don't think it's possible to rock hop it.

Special Equipment Required: Footwear to walk through brook in.

Comments: Owl's Head was much easier than expected! I feel bad for the two dayhikers I met, who hiked almost eight miles in from Lincoln Woods, but, lacking confidence, gave up and turned back just before reaching the two obvious cairns marking the beginning of the slide.