Pack Sizes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
I have a pack that is about 10 years old. I'm trying to determine its size. Is there a "best way" to measure it?
Better yet, is there an online resource that has the size of every pack ever made?

FWIW, it's an LL Bean pack, day pack size. I believe it's call the Tuckerman pack.

trailbiscuit said:
Better yet, is there an online resource that has the size of every pack ever made?
No there isn't.

One way to measure the volume of a pack is to fill it up with small balls and then pour them into a measured container like a box. You could also use styrofoam peanuts or something similar. Asking the manufacturer, as already suggested, would be far more easier.

Last edited:
You can estmate the volume of a pack from its dimensions. To estimate the volume of each compartment, measure the average height, width, and depth of each compartment and multiply the three numbers. (For instance, if the depth is 8 in at the top and 12 in at the bottom, use 10 in. Similar for the other dimensions.) Add the volume of all compartments.

The above equation is only an approximation for most pack shapes, but it should give you a ballpark number.

You might also search the internet archive for an old catalog listing: http://www.archive.org

Doug

I have had great luck with contacting LL Bean about older gear. Just give them the product number on the item and they'll tell you everything about it. They even mailed me the spec sheet on their North Col Expedition winter tent for free.