Packcover with a hood?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a packcover that has an integrated hood? I think this would be a great piece of gear to prevent snow from pouring down between my back and my pack.

Just remember to take the hood off before dropping the pack...

MIght also restrict head movement.

Or you could wear a poncho over both you and your pack. (I sometimes wear a shell over both me and a small daypack.)

Doug

It would be used on bushwhacks so a tight pack cover design to avoid snags would be necessary. Thanks for the "heads up" re: taking off the hood before dropping pack. :D

I read recently in Backpacker magazine that a small umbrella is used for rainy regions such as North West Cascades.
The shaft is tucked down behind a shoulder strap!
That would look rather silly, but think about it...it would work! ;)

I have always thought a small vestibule rig could be made to do just that.
It could be made from prebent aluminum rods and lightweight tent nylon, or a modified pack cover.
Poles would rig up on the sides of your pack and curve forward to cover your head.
Just another crazy idea from my inventing madness syndrome...

I would not want to be in wind with it! :eek:

But does some company make something like that?
It's called a "poncho" :)

Opps EDIT: My idea won't work to well on bushwhacks!

Neil said:
Does anyone know of a packcover that has an integrated hood?

I know I've seen one before, but it was a long time ago. I'm thinking that it was was made by Dana Designs, but I'm not 100% sure.

Kevin Rooney said:
Your toy budget must be way bigger than mine, Doug. I choke at spending $25 or more for a piece of coated nylon with a draw string when it can't cost more than $2.50 to make.
OK. However, I thought that sil-nylon was fairly expensive.

I also don't have a large dog to feed... :)

Doug

Kevin Rooney said:
Too bad pack covers are so pricey -

I got my Dana pack covers for $5! (normally 40 or so) They have an integrated hood and I used them several times for snow bombs and wet conditions.

In the end our east coast woods are very thick and tend to grab anything extra hanging around, so I rarely use it anymore. I learned to adapt and avoid the snowbombs. Give yourself another 20 winter peaks or so and you'll learn to slip under alot of stuff unscathed, and how to do the upside-down shimmy shake to clear snow that does get in. You'll be a pro by mid Feb. I suspect.

Doc McPeak said:
I learned to adapt and avoid the snowbombs. Give yourself another 20 winter peaks or so and you'll learn to slip under alot of stuff unscathed, and how to do the upside-down shimmy shake to clear snow that does get in. You'll be a pro by mid Feb. I suspect.

Giving those snowy spruce and fir branches a little whack w/ a pole helps dislodge some of the snow before going under. You can also allow your partner(s) to go first through the snowy trees. :D

Matt

Neil,

I actually made my own "snow cape" for the exact purpose you described. The two attached photos are the best I have to show the details. The hood is not part of the cape, but it does a damn good job of keeping snow from getting between me and my pack, and is not a hindrance when moving through dense brush. I was going to patent this and make millions, but then I realized I would probably be marketing to a fairly limited population (winter bushwhackers)!

I used velcro around the neck so that if the cape snags a branch, the neck closure will break loose and come apart. I would stay away from buckles and snaps; otherwise you might seriously injure your neck if you do catch the cape. I sewed elastic into the vertical sides of the cape and cut the cape to follow the contour of the point of contact between my back and my pack. The cape goes over the backpack and attached to the bottom of the cape are straps on each side with a Fastex buckle used for a closure. The straps that wrap around have to be long enough so that you can reach them easily to put the cape on.

John

Johnnycakes said:
Neil,

I actually made my own "snow cape" for the exact purpose you described.

John

That is wicked cool!
I very much appreciate seeing others post their fine homemade ideas to the public.

Necessity is Mother of invention! :)

Johnnycakes, you need a cool logo on the cape "Super Snow Shedder"..or something..
If you can't patent it, then take credit for it and pump up the PR!

Johnnycakes said:
I was going to patent this and make millions, but then I realized I would probably be marketing to a fairly limited population (winter bushwhackers)
I'd have bought one. It looks perfect for the job. Also a great fashion statement for hanging out around the Ouluska Brook!

Would you mind taking some more pics of it front and back (not on the pack) I know a place in Mtl. that would make me one.

The eiger day pack by marrmot has a wrap around design on the shoulder straps that stops 90 % of the snow from going down your back.

I have borrowed my brother's "turtle" and it was made by Dana Design. It was heavy, but worked well. I have some pictures if anyone is interested.

I tried to make a pack umbrella as I hike with an external frame pack in the summer, but it kept getting caught on branches despite being close to my head.

Now I wear just a OR hat (which is also great for keeping the sun off me above treeline) and if it's really coming down I'll put on the pack cover and wet gear, which I find works the best.

Exped Packcover poncho

Exped makes a packcover with a short waisted poncho attached. I special ordered on from europe since they don't market it in the US. It cost me about $50 including shipping. I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to modify it first adding some sleeves I think.

Check it out at http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset

Select English, Exped Products, then Poncho, Chaps then Packcover poncho

Also here is a picture of it from their website.

Last edited:
hooded packcover

My Dana packcover has a hood. Its not the most comfortable thing for all day tromping in the rain, but it works. I prefer to put on my rain gear and use the pack hood as an extra bit of covering to wrap over my shoulder straps to keep the rain from running down the back of my jacket (I have an external frame pack)
Sabrina

Johnnycakes said:
I actually made my own "snow cape" for the exact purpose you described.
...I was going to patent this and make millions, but then I realized I would probably be marketing to a fairly limited population (winter bushwhackers)!
Your patent would have been denied due to prior art :)

My mother wore what she called a cape in the '80s when hiking trails with lots of snowy evergreens or particularly bushwhacking the NH100 in sleet which we had a lot of then. It had an integral hood and as mentioned its chief function was to keep snow going between your back and your pack. It was only a couple feet long and hence didn't hang free and snag like a poncho. Note that it did not catch on even with her hiking companions.

When rain threatens I usually throw on the pack cover...you know, to keep the dry clothes dry. I don't like overheating so I don't put on a jacket until the rain is falling with purpose. Now those minutes when I'm trying to decide if the rain will stop are ones of much indecision.

I often reach up and grap the top of the rain cover and pull it over my head. My rain cover is large; over a 3000 cu in pack. So there's material to spare. I then continued with the theme of pulling the sides of the rain cover over my arms.

It works well. I cover my head, shoulders, and arms. It looks like a lean-to. My chest is open and therefore well ventilated. The edge of the cover has elastic so it clings my arms pretty close and does not have problems with trail side brush.

I'm thinking of adding a strap - like a lightweight sternum strap so I do not have to hold the edges of the cover.