Packed snowshoe trail in the whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR

Reaction score
I am from VT and have done most of my hiking there so I do not really know much about the winter hiking in the White Mountains....but this will be my first official winter in NH so hopefully I will get acquainted quickly. (I live in southern NH though so it is though not being able to just hike out my back door like I could where I grew up in VT :( )

Anyway, I don't really know how to put this, but here it goes.
I am having a couple hiker friends up that have not done much snowshoeing, so I am looking for a hike that is going to be pre-broken so they just have to basically "follow the trail". I am not looking for an easy hike, just something that will have most likely already been broken.

I know it depends on when the last snowfall was and such, but if you all have some recommendations for the most likely place to meet this criteria is, it would be appreciated!

Also, it will be in January if the time frame matters for selection.

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Berard said:
I would just keep an eye on the trail conditions from this site, and pick your hike according to that. good luck, and have fun.
That and also something like Camel's Hump. I took the Monroe Trail yesterday, which I think is the most popular one (my first time on Camel's Hump), and it was very well broken out. Looked like a professional did it. I assume that a day or so after any major snowfall this trail is going to be fairly well broken out. Judging from the number of people I saw going up while I was descending, I assume you'll also have plenty of company.

Elevation gain ~ 3000 ft which, I guess, is a challenge in of itself. However, it's a good trail for a first snowshoe up a "big" peak because it's pretty much moderate the whole way up. Pretty too.

-Dr. Wu

These days, most of the popular trails in the Whites (particularly to 4K peaks) get broken out fairly quickly. Not like the "good old days"...

The trails to Franconia Ridge from Rte 93 would be one such group of trails.

And, of course, as mentioned above you can wait for a trip report and rush out and repeat the route before the next snowfall.

BTW, you still might need snowshoes even if someone else has broken the trail.

Doug

NH: Pierce VT: Camel's Hump

DougPaul said:
These days, most of the popular trails in the Whites (particularly to 4K peaks) get broken out fairly quickly. Not like the "good old days"...

The trails to Franconia Ridge from Rte 93 would be one such group of trails.

And, of course, as mentioned above you can wait for a trip report and rush out and repeat the route before the next snowfall.

BTW, you still might need snowshoes even if someone else has broken the trail.

Doug
Oh Crap, he did say NH and not VT.

Do a search for "easiest winter 4k's" or some variation of that. You'll come up with, among others, Waumbek, Cannon, Pierce etc. My vote would be for Pierce. A good first snowshoe hike up a "big" peak, great views at the top and then an option to move on to Eisenhower and/or Monroe if you so choose.

I second DP's suggestion, although I don't want to insult your intelligence, about snowshoes. You can do whatever you want. I mostly wear snowshoes because I can't stand sliding around on my boots or punching through packed snow, but as you would have seen yesterday had you been with me, people chose a variety of methods to go up even packed trail. I saw barebooters, snowshoers and a lot of people skiing up. I even saw a bunch of people with snowboards. I wouldn't assume the Monroe Trail would be a good trail to snowboard down but then again, what do I know?

-Dr. Wu

My standard reply is that the popular trails get packed out within a day of a storm and almost all the easilly dayhikable 4K's are packed out within 3 days. Generally you cant go wrong climbing out of the trails starting at the Highland center in Crawfords Notch. The run up Pierce has a great view at the end but is in the trees until the last 100 yards or so. The trail usually resembles a side walk. Jackson is very similiar except for the rocky section (which can get ice covered) for the last 100 yards or so.

Another option is to watch the AMC trip lists and go a day after they have a trip listed. When they are done with a trip and we have a cold overnight the trail is real well packed (no barebooters allowed).

Beaver Brook Trail up Moosilauke from Rt. 112 is often packed out and definitely qualifies as "not easier." Routefinding is generally easy and is only above treeline (with huge cairns) for about 1/3 mile.

Disclaimer: this trail can also be quite icy on its lower reaches if it hasn't snowed much.

I would second Peakbagger on the Crawford Path from Crawford Notch to Mt. Pierce. It gets packed quickly after each snowfall. It is probably the most likely trail to be packed on any given day.

The grade is very steady and has no steeps. Once up on the ridge, the open views are beautiful and you can continue north toward Mt. Washington for as long as time allows, all above treeline.

happy trails :)

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. It was pretty much what I expected, but since I have not done any winter whites hiking I figured I would check before going out with them and finding most of the trails unbroken.

Dr. Wu, I have been up camels hump many times during the winter (close to my house), it is indeed a great hike. I have been the first to pack it a few times as well...lets just say it is easier when somebody else has gone first :)

Anyway, thanks for all the replies/info,
Jason

JR said:
Dr. Wu, I have been up camels hump many times during the winter (close to my house), it is indeed a great hike. I have been the first to pack it a few times as well...lets just say it is easier when somebody else has gone first :)
Aw, you should be fine then. Pierce - Eisenhower; Webster-Jackson is also a nice one. Carrigain is a little longer but quite brilliant. A large % of the NH-48 has an "easy" route or one that will likely be broken out soon after snow storm. Go for it!

-Dr. Wu