Parking at Crawford Hostel

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobmak

Reaction score
I haven't been to Crawford since they built the new facility. Do they still allow overnight/multi-night parking at the hostel for backpackers? While I am on this subjuct, is it cheaper for 2 to sepnd a night at the hostel or a local motel? I am thinking about driving up late the night before. Thanks!

Mt. Clinton

As was the case before HC, hikers leaving their cars overnight are asked to use the Mt. Clinton Road lot.

I believe the non-member rate for the bunkhouse is $25 including breakfast. I expect that with double occupancy, you could sleep cheaper at a motel, but you'd miss waking up in the Notch to a wicked good breakfast.

The Shapleigh Bunkhouse at the Highland Center in Crawford Notch runs $23 for AMC members, $25 for non-members. Honkin' big breakfast at the Center included. You also get a parking pass that lets you park right near the bunkhouse. If you're not staying at the Center or the Bunkhouse, you should park over in the Clinton Road lot.

The old Crawford Hostel bunkrooms are gone. The old main building which used to house a kitchen, library and bathrooms now bunks 16 people. The only cooking facilities are down to just a sink and a microwave.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, you're supposed to park at Mt. Clinton Rd. if you're not a guest of the HC. There's a big sign to that effect right at the entrance to the lot. I parked there for a dayhike recently without a problem (had to do it -- it's where I said my car would be on my agenda at home).

There are a few spots at the old depot (Macomber Family Info Center? -- too many names -- I get confused!). I'm sure they are intended for that facility in the summer, but it's closed now and there is no "No Hiker Parking" signs. Don't know if they plow that lot tho.

I am aware of the Clinton Rd. lot. The reason I was asking about parking at Crawford was that I have already been the victim of a couple of vehicle break ins, so I am a little cautious of where I leave my car. You used to be able to park in front of the old hostel in the winter (at least the caretaker said it was OK, maybe because I used to stay there so often) so I was not sure if that still was the case. It's sad that you have to think about theft when hiking, but in the Whites it's a reality.

Posted by Bob
If you're not staying at the Center or the Bunkhouse, you should park over in the Clinton Road lot

Parking in Crawford Notch is somewhat of a problem in winter with that one area near the Webster Jackson trail plowed. There are lots of trails and some ice climbers who frequent that area so you always had to get there early to find parking. I would think the AMC would allow winter hikers to park at the Highland center if those lots are full.

I also parked in the AMC lot for a summer dayhike without incident. It was midweek and there was plenty of room in the lot. Perhaps on a weekend when there would be more paying guests the situation might be different?
-veg

could one park in the lot across from Elephant's Head?

Puck said:
could one park in the lot across from Elephant's Head?
Yes, but be careful in winter depending on the plowing situation. I always park in the Mt Clinton lot, I've never had a problem there.

-dave-

At the risk of being bitch slapped by everyone, why is it that we (myself included) think nothing of hiking 10 to 15 miles as a day hike, yet complain about parking ¼ mile from a trailhead?

MadRiver said:
At the risk of being bitch slapped by everyone, why is it that we (myself included) think nothing of hiking 10 to 15 miles as a day hike, yet complain about parking ¼ mile from a trailhead?
Funny. At the gym I used to go to, there was an odd parking arrangement. There were no spaces next to the building, though there was room for a row of cars to park. There always seemed to be a line of cars parked under the NO PARKING signs and I thought it amusing that people would park illegally to save 15 steps, then go inside and put in an hour on the StairMaster.

Last edited:
MadRiver said:

It's not just hikers. :D

-dave-