Passoconoway whiteface and Tripyramids ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonPatrikz

Reaction score
Passoconoway whiteface and Tripyramids

Just wondering how this trail combination would be in winter. Starting on Oliverian coming out either pine bend or sabbaday brook.

It's a long day hike, but...

not impossible if the trails are in good condition and the weather is cooperative. I would start at Tripyramid and spot two cars. I love Passaconaway- there is old growth at the summit and in the Woncelot stream ("The Bowl") area.

i was just recently pondering a hike of the same type. my biggest doubt was whether my chubby ass could make it......
one part that would trouble me would be the brook crossings on sabbaday if they weren't solid. the other would be the kate sleeper trail (which i have never hiked, but assume is lightly used this time of year) and finding its junction with the tripyramid loop. i have read it involves climbing up the eastern portion of the south slide for a ways and crossing over to the loop trail. otherwise it would just be a test of endurance. with two cars it seems quite feasible. otherwise a bit of a road walk. about a mile more if going down pine bend. if you have two cars i'd spot one there. steep down at first then a woods cruise once you are past the ravine.
please post the results if you give it a shot.

bryan

The Brook Crossings are solid & should be at least for another week with these temps. We bushwhacked around theh first two & the third held four hikers near 200 pounds or more all with packs. The heaviest with pack was around 250.

Also agree Pind Bend would be the better choice.

I just came down Sabbaday on Saturday and the brook crossings were all fine. Use caution of course, but they were no problem at all and it has only gotten colder since then.

I would only recommend descending this trail though, as it is STEEP near the Trip ridge.

I actually did that hike in Aug 2005.

I started at the Olivarian Brook Trail at 0736, reached Passaconaway at 1012, Whiteface at 1211, Middle Tri- at 1441, N. Tri- at 1514, came out at Sabbaday Falls at 1749.

I remember that at some point, there was a long stretch w/ no water re-supply, though that's prob not a factor at this time of year.

If you need GPS coord's, I can e-mail them to you, along w/ some .jpg's which might be nav aids.