Pattern Change Snow Storm on the Way

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattl

Reaction score
Since we have had such a dull and mild November in the Whites for weather, the upcoming weather system will be one to watch since it may catch some off guard. Tonight a storm system will develop in response to a pattern shift for the weather in North America. Cold air that has been sitting over China and Siberia, is finally shifting to us, and looks to change our mild weather to normal to start, then below normal.
The storm on Friday will continue to develop in the Gulf of Maine and throw a large swatch of heavy rain over New England, with mild temps to start, there could even be thunderstorms. During the day Friday, cold air will work into the western side of the storm and change it to heavy snow. This line will setup somewhere from Rangely, ME through Conway, NH, down to Claremont, NH and into VT. Being a tricky storm, this will be a hard one to pinpoint. What does look evident is that elevations above 2000 feet will see significant snowfall starting Friday and lasting through Sunday morning in the northern Whites. On Saturday everyone will be much colder and temps will keep dropping allowing for good upslope snow. For the mountains above 2000 feet in the Whites it looks like a total snow of 5-15 or more inches could fall, depending on elevation and location. This will not be a uniform storm. lower elevations, impossible to pinpoint, but anywhere from a dusting to 6 inches. If you hike this weekend there will be blowing and drifting snow and cold temperatures. As I said, not that unusual for almost December, but compared to lately it is. Be thankful today on thanksgiving because it looks like winter is finally here for awhile. :)

-Mattl

Last edited:
Thanks, Matt... I was scanning all my weather sites, but your synopsis is much clearer (and much more optimistic, for us snow-lovers). About time!

Happy Thanksgiving...

Hoping for that snow to come....I've had enough of leaves covering rocks and roots. Bring on the winter weather! :D

It sounds like

the day after Thanksgiving..just like they said

will be the turning point....

while this month has been sweet ..I say..

bring it on

Winter Weather advisories are in place which mostly pertain to where people live. So an update, storm looks on track and is going to deepen into quite an impressive little storm, those who follow this stuff, 972 or 976 low over the Gulf of Maine by this evening. As of 9:34 am this morning, looking at www.intellicast.com, you can see that the Whites are snowing down to about 2500 feet, and below freezing at 4000 feet already. So basically above 4000 feet, there was no rain at all, and the total moisture will be 1-2.5 inches of melted through Sunday, someone do the math at 10-1 ratios until about 6 tonight then 12-1 ratios as the storm gets colder. However some of this will melt initially based on the ground being a bit warm for November so shave a couple inches off that will fall as a sloppy mess. For all valleys below 2000 feet, super tricky forecast, ground is warm, so for places like Franconia, NH who sit about 1000 feet, Id say 2-4 inches of snow, but below 1000 feet maybe 1-2 inches if you are on the closer end of 1000. I think it will be interesting driving into the notches this weekend and seeing the difference.

-Mattl

The clouds just parted up on Tecumseh briefly, revealing white on the ski trails above 3200 feet. Can't tell how much -- probably just a wet layer, but hooray none the less.

photo.php

Last edited:
I started to see snow changeover at 2 PM Friday at 1400 feet on the Gorham/Randolph town line, starting to build up some slush on the driveway and some monor accumulation on my garage roof. The slush could make it interesting on the roads tonight as evidenced by the winter weather advisory.

November was a nice month for hiking this year with the warm temps.

If there's some snow, December will be a nice month for hiking this year as well!

Hiking = good.

-Dr. Wu

Over 6" of snow in Twin Mountain right now - heavy and wet, clinging to trees and leaning limbs down. The snowmobilers have already been out testing it.

Last edited:
Nice Pic! Randolf, NH just came in with 10 inches and Crawford Notch, and Mount Washington has reported almost 2 inches of melted, so 15 or more inches. Impressive.

-Mattl

Last edited:
Six inches or more here in Bethlehem, wet, heavy snow with trees bent over everywhere with the weight. Still coming down. Really beautiful - can't wait until the sun comes out! :)

18.5 inches so far on Mount Washington, and 18 at Bretton Woods. It will continue to snow today, so add on a few more inches before it's done.