Pattern Change Snow Storm on the Way

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drove 93 > 3 > 115 > 2 back to Gorham last night between 6:30 and 8:00 pm and it was blizzard like from Franconia Notch through Randolph consistent (25-30 mph driving average).

Amazing snow depth as we rolled through Twin Mt and Jefferson. Came down off Gorham Hill into town and was extremely shocked & bummed to only find 2" saturated slush and heavy rain. 32.5 degrees when we got back and 35.2 when I got up with no more precip.

Yestreday afternoon 4pm-ish it was all rain at the WV ski area and at least as high up as we could see. Not sure what happened overnight.

Power went out in Twin for quite a few hours last night, all the way along Rte 302 as far as Fabyans. Wires were down. Plenty of tree limbs down all over the place from the heavy, wet snow. Overnight branches could be heard cracking every few minutes. Then the wind came in, and fortunately it knocked the snow clear rather than devastating the trees (as ice would have done). This morning I can see the resulting downed limbs all over the place. It's above freezing (35°) and the snow is soft and wet but with plenty of flurries still coming down. It's really not a pleasant day. I do plan to get out, I'm just not sure where yet. I'll bet that as soon as one gets up a few hundred feet it will "dry" out to just snow.

I have *got* to get the snow tires on the car.

Yestreday afternoon 4pm-ish it was all rain at the WV ski area and at least as high up as we could see. Not sure what happened overnight.

I can answer that for you... it had changed over to snow as low as the base lodge by 5pm -- but it didn't stick much at 2000 feet. Higher up received a good coating, as this shot shows:

Snow_on_Tecumseh_11_28_09.JPG

Later last night, we saw lights up on High Country for the first time in six months, probably the snowmaking crew was out... though it was so windy, and the brook running so strong, I couldn't say for sure if the guns were on yet when I went to bed at midnight.

Power went out in Twin for quite a few hours last night, all the way along Rte 302 as far as Fabyans. Wires were down. Plenty of tree limbs down all over the place from the heavy, wet snow. Overnight branches could be heard cracking every few minutes. .
Lots of branches on the road along Rt. 175, but few outages in NH Electric Coop territory: NH Electric Coop Outage Map.

Lots more outages further south, though.

The Highland Center apparently still didn't have their power back until sometime late this morning, and as of earlier this evening, our friends' place in Bethlehem was still without power.

I just got back from a hike up Pierce, where at 4000 feet roughly, I measured 24-26 inches of new snow, and this is after it has settled and been wind blown. Incredible hike.

ps: in your face Jay P ;)

Last edited:
Bretton Woods went from scraping by on three short slopes off the Learning Center Quad (that'd be "bunny slope" to you and me) to a claimed 27 trails today. We were amazed to find snow everywhere, deep, soft snow even where it had been groomed. They got a very lucky bounce out of this storm and are back ahead of the curve.