Pemi River Crossings With a Bum Knee

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
June 20, 2012: mountain biked Eastside Trail, walked Wilderness Trail, Thoreau Falls Trail, turned around, returned to Wilderness Trail, crossed the Pemi River north to the old Wilderness Trail, followed the old portion (now discontinued) of the Wilderness Trial, and crossed back near Franconia Brook Bridge.

Further background: Something bad happened to my knee the previous week. Still trying to figure out what's wrong (with Ortho Dr's help) and hoping it will heal on its own sooner rather than later!!!! I am attempting to practice patience, which, for me, is more challenging than anything I’ve ever hiked.

At any rate, I was given the green light to walk and ride a bike. Sooooo, at Lincoln Woods, I wished Mark T & Valerie C a good hike to Owl’s Head and then I got my stuff together. Biking the East Side Road/Trail is pretty fun since Hurricane Irene. I got to bike along the edge of the washouts and challenge myself on the uphills. Once inside the Wilderness boundary, I dismounted and locked the bike up.

First thing at the campground/Wilderness boundary was to check out the Pemi River Crossing. This time I spotted the sign across the water. The water looked a little deep although I knew it was about as low as it gets. At first I pondered exploring the East Side Trail further on foot, returning, and then carrying the bike across the river. I just felt as though I’d fall in if I were carrying the bike—it is impossible to use a staff (for me) AND carry a heavy bike…. Tuck those thoughts into the back of my mind. Not sure what I want to do….

So I started walking up the East Side Trail towards the Cedar Brook Trail. I kept moving right along. Then I came to the wide slow-moving stream crossing around a mile into the Wilderness that always seems to throw a little more at me every time. I thought, “HAH! The water is low. It won’t get me this time!”

A couple steps on rounded rocks and I found the unstable one. BAM. Sitting in the stream. Gaitors, trailrunners, shorts: all soaked to the skin. Actually felt pretty good because of the heat!!! At least the water wasn’t sloshing in my shoes!!! At this point I figured whatever I wanted to do for river crossings, I was IN!!!!

Here’s that dastardly first stream crossing that soaked me (looks so innocent, doesn’t it????):
P1010472-firstfall-in.jpg

And on I went, sailing past the Cedar Brook Trail on towards Thoreau Falls which always draws me. I kept doing calculations of time to see if maybe I could get there and get back before dark, or, at least, before Mark & Valerie would find my car still in the same spot in the lot and wonder if I were in trouble….. and I took the left onto the Thoreau Falls Trail. I was a little curious about the bridge there since Irene. The bridge has been mended – I was happy about that.

Almost like it was (ramp is back in place):
P1010477-tftbridge.jpg

But, only one at a time!!!!
P1010478-wtlimit.jpg

But, it looks pretty strong:
P1010483-lookingoutacrosstftbridge.jpg

Further up Thoreau Falls Trail – these logs look like gateposts:
P1010486-gatewaytotfttrail.jpg

But, not even as far as the first logging camp, my knee just didn’t feel right. I decided to turn around. I hated to do that. BUT, I started to think about other options for my return. I did have to make a walking stick since I didn’t bring any. It helped, maybe, psychologically. So, I retraced my steps thinking briefly about taking a right just before the TFT Bridge and bushwhacking down to the west side of the Pemi. I realized I didn’t want to get stuck bushwhacking with a bad knee in case anything went wrong!!!

So, back at the site of the old suspension bridge (RIP) over the Pemi River, I cut down to the river. There are a bunch of herd paths leading down to the water. And, submerging my feet, I found a decent crossing a little north of the bridge site. Here’s a pic from mid-river (the old way was so much higher). But, up to my knees in river, here it is:
P1010491-crossingatsuspbrloc.jpg

Unfortunately, on the opposite (north) side, I had a lot of trouble getting up the bank. This tree trunk caught my eye as I was clawing my way up:
P1010493-cedartree.jpg

Old anchor bolts holding nothing:
P1010496-oldanchorbolts.jpg

The old Wilderness Trail on the north side of the Pemi River had random trash and LOTS of blowdowns which were difficult to step over. I was pretty happy when I got close to the Bondcliff Trail.

Those of you watching the old RR trestle decay will enjoy this recent pic. The trestle is still looking pretty good:
P1010499-oldtrestle.jpg

The former Black Brook Bridge cut up, laid out, and aligned with the RR Bridge.
P1010503-oldblackbrookbridge.jpg

Then I hunted for the herd paths down to the crossing. I took the herd path just past the Franconia Brook Trail sign. That herd path led to a VERY high embankment. I found a few rocks and dropped down to the little stream below, crossed THAT to a herd path, and wound across that mini-island. The path led back to the river. It was too deep there so I headed up-stream and started walking in the open sections. Then, I had to fight back up the opposite bank – it was tricky to get back up due to the Irene damage PLUS my knee was really aching.

Looking towards the final crossing:
P1010509-lastcrossing-lookingtowardsit.jpg

Back to my bike and back on an easy ride (except for the culvert blow-out). Just past the culvert, this butterfly sat on the signboard:
P1010510-butterflyonsignboard.jpg

A fine day!!!! Enjoyed finally doing those river crossings; didn’t enjoy the knee ☹

Yesterday a near-record high and you're complaining about getting wet :)

A few years back I twisted an ankle on a bushwhack and coming back didn't think I could hop the rocks I did going out, but it was around June 6 so I just waded and called it the commemoration of D-Day

Hi Becca...sounds like you pushed that knee to the max ( based on doctors orders) not pleased that it turned up achy.

bet the water crossings felt excellent..

some great photos there of the old bridges etc

it sure was a good day out and I for sure enjoyed a dip in the Pemi after Owls...

A couple steps on rounded rocks and I found the unstable one. BAM. Sitting in the stream. Gaitors, trailrunners, shorts: all soaked to the skin.
I managed to do same thing in two inches of muddy water and landed on my camera. I was "clever" enough to do this in the desert (Grand Canyon, Tonto Trail at Burro Spring) so that everything dried off in 10 minutes or so and the dried mud blew away.

Doug

Further background: Something bad happened to my knee the previous week. Still trying to figure out what's wrong (with Ortho Dr's help) and hoping it will heal on its own sooner rather than later!!!! I am attempting to practice patience, which, for me, is more challenging than anything I’ve ever hiked.

At any rate, I was given the green light to walk and ride a bike. ☹

Becca, hope the knee heals quickly! Kudos for getting out there. I'm convinced that whenever we're able (based on the doctor's advice), we should keep doing what we love. Beats sitting at home on the couch.

I understand your comment about patience...I don't have much of it either when it comes to certain things (like not being able to hike what I'd like to hike). :)

Hope you're all better soon.

Becca--nice pics and fun exploring!
I was wondering if you've ever given hiking poles a try?
Seems like they might help for stream crossings and also maybe the knee.
I had knee problems last year and I think the poles took some of the strain off.

I feel for you on the knee thing. My knee was aching after last weekend's hike, sore from really pushing it on the hike before that. I'm taking this weekend off (and my schedule might be affected), staying local and just hiking Pawtuckaway probably. I'm impatient about getting back on the trails, too. Get well :)

Becca, your adventures (including this one) would push the limits for many folks with two healthy knees!
This is an excellent report supplemented with many interesting photos!
Best wishes to you for speedy healing of that cranky knee!

Hi Becca,

Sorry to hear about your knee. I hope it feels better soon and is fully recovered soon after!

This is a great trip report and as always, love the historical features and elements you bring to us. Some of us (like me) have never been this deep into the woods before and I love seeing the old railroad beds and relics that you capture.

It's funny that you say your brook picture (where you fell in) looks so innocent. With photos, they always do. I can't tell you how many times an overflowing brook has turned me around, I'll take a picture of the unforgiving, roaring river (brook) and when I get home to post it, it looks like I could have just hopped across. :)

Also, that sign for "1 at a time"...makes you really think about how heavy your pack might be!

Great pictures! Thanks for bringing us along!

Karl

Hi Becca,

I can relate. I took 4 months off this year to heal a bum knee. It's no fun! At least you're able to do some "flatlanding" to make up for it!

Hi Everyone and thanks SO MUCH for your words of wisdom and encouraging stories of similar circumstances!!!! The worst was being stranded on a couch..... Some of you were immobile for SO LONG!!!!! My heart goes out to you guys and anyone unable to hike/run/whatever that your heart yearns for!!!!!

I actually do have poles but have used them less lately because when I use them they make noise and tend to scare away wildlife. I will try them out again on a short hike tomorrow and hope for the best!!!!