Percy Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntlerPeak

Reaction score
I am looking for some input on these two gems. I have been wanting to get up them for forever it seems. In early May we are planning on making the attempt. Can anyone offer some input on the following?

Is the Nash Stream road drivable from the Emmerson road approach? ( 4W Pathfinder ) If not is there any usuable parking near the start of the Nash Stream Road? It seems walking the road and using the Percy Peaks trail may be quicker than the longer "Old Summer Club Trail" Any thoughts, comments? Thanks.

The Nash Stream Road may be gated until about Memorial Day, there is a large parking area for snowmobilers. After that, most cars can drive to the ex-pond.

Save this trip for good weather, the ledges can be slippery.

ditto Roy's comments. (esp. about the ledges. The phrase "ledges" is sort of misleading, the Percy Peaks trail passes closely to, and in a few spots coincides with, a smooth granite incline at about a 35-45 degree angle that goes a long way down with few interruptions, so be careful. This is a fairly easy trail but I won't hike it alone for this reason.)

The Nash Stream road has been in very good shape when I've driven it to the Percy trailhead; I have a Toyota Corolla so you definitely don't need a high-clearance vehicle. As far as gravel roads go, it's probably one of the best I've been on.

Thanks for the info will leave options open and definately stay away from the ( ledges/slabs ) if wet.

The old "Underhill Trail" on North Percy has been discussed on this site before. Since you're driving ALL the way up to the wilds of northern New Hampshire, it's definitely worth waiting for a dry day and going up the old route. It's awesome fun!!

:D

While you're up there, you could do Sugarloaf (a NH 100 highest & nice peak) as well.

:) :) :)

and if you're going to wait for dry ledges, you might as well wait until august for dry ledges and maybe the best blueberry hike in the Whites.

I would recommend getting them from the Cohos trail which goes right by on the east and sends a marked spur trail thru the col between them. Get on the Cohos trail by parking at Christine Lake and take the log road northwest. Cohos trail is marked by yellow blazes and small CT signs. Maps are available on the CT website. This is a much nicer trip than going up Nash Stream road, particularly during snow or mud season.