Peru - Salcantay trek and Machu Picchu

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunchberry

Reaction score
Having recently quit my job without the next one in place, I knew I was craving an experience out of the ordinary – something that would feed my delightfully curious nature and snap me back into heightened sensation. An epic travel adventure was in order, and Cusco, Peru was the destination. I wrote a lot about various experiences during my mid-August to mid-September travels, but as this is VFTT and not just a generic travel writing website, I’m just going to post my most VFTT appropriate journey, a trek to Machu Picchu by way of the Salcantay Mountain (not the traditional Inca Trail). The following is taken from an email I wrote to friends just after the trek. Enjoy!

-----------
I’m currently in Aguas Calientes, the gateway town to Machu Picchu in the Andes! I am heading back to Cusco in a few hours, by train and then by bus. Last Friday, I began the 4-day Salcantay trek with a great group of people from around the world, including Israel, England, Ireland, Germany, US, Czech Republic, Switzerland, Australia (represented by my friend from Spanish school, Angela), Brazil, and Finland. How’s that for a multi-cultural excursion?? Then, for the past 2 days Angela and I set off to explore and fully take in Machu Picchu, the most famous Inca archaeological site. Let me tell you more...

Friday morning at 3:30am, my alarm goes off. Time to get dressed, make a quick Banana Nutella sandwich for breakfast, then wait for my taxi to take me to the bus I’ll be taking with my group to the start of our trek! The night before, my host mom Marlina had walked with me outside to hail a cab and to ask the driver to pick me up at 4:15 the next morning. He agreed, he’d be there. Well, it was 4:10, then 4:15, then 4:20, and no taxista! I decided to head off to the main road near my house, I hoped I’d be able to find one on my own so early in the morning. Not to worry, I did indeed find a taxi driver with no problem (and a cheaper one than the taxista who was supposed to pick me up!) so off I went to start the day.

Angela and I got to our bus, the kind of big tour bus where you can store luggage in large compartments that open on the outside. In the next twenty minutes or so, more and more people kept arriving in groups of two or three, until finally the bus was full and we were on our way. I was feeling pretty sleepy, but gathered that the bus was packed with about 24 trekkers, 2 cooks, 2 guides, 4 men who would tend to the horses, and after just a short time on the road, about 5-8 locals hitching a ride with our group to Mollepata. All the seats were full when these locals got on, so several people had to stand for the three and a half hour bus ride as we wove our way through high mountain passes and roads with steep, steep cliffs off to one side!

In Mollepata, we found out that this huge group of trekkers was actually two separate groups, much more manageable! Our guide was Carlos, and I liked him immediately. We had time for a quick sit down breakfast while Carlos ran off to say a quick hello to his mother, and I was grateful for bananas and nutella, since the food available for purchase was several steps below my own breakfast brought from home :) The trek began as a walk through the town, but soon enough, we were off into the countryside. Almost immediately, it was really clear that this trek was going to be a very challenging one...it was just the first day, at an elevation slightly lower than Cusco (which is situated at about 11,000 feet), and I was really feeling it!! But on I went...

We walked for several hours, then stopped for lunch at Cruz Pata, this beautiful outlook where suddenly the clouds shifted and an enormous snow and glacier-covered peak jumped out of the sky in all its glory and beauty!! It’s those little reminders that make it all worth it...from a place of complaining in my own head, I snapped back to reality and realized here I am, trekking in the Andes, heading toward Machu Picchu! It was a real awakening, thank goodness.

We stumbled into camp (called Soraypampa at 12,631 feet) just after sunset, and light was fading fast. And if light was fading fast, the temperature was dropping faster! We had been forewarned that the first night of camping would be the coldest, so fortunately I came very prepared with a huge down parka, a decent sleeping bag, hat, mittens, and even toe warmers! But some of my fellow trekkers were not so fortunate - two of the guys from Ireland had only one wool blanket each, and they were getting pretty scared. Don’t worry, everyone survived the night, but the joke of the morning was that sleeping bag ratings are pretty much a joke: they don’t rate it 0 degrees Celsius saying that you’ll be comfortable at that temperature, only that you’ll make it through the night! Most of the group didn’t sleep too well, but by the time we woke up in the morning to an incredible sunrise of brightly-lit pink and golden snow on both Umantay and Salcantay, we were all excited and the night’s trials were quickly forgotten.

(more to follow)

cntd.

(cntd.)

Around 6:30am we began what we knew would be the most difficult part of the trek, walking up through a region known as Pampa Salcantay. We were moving slowly and knew that we would need to get up to about 15,500 feet by 10:30 or 11am. The route was rocky and uneven, but thank goodness utilized switchbacks, a hiker’s closest friend on the trail! At one point the breathing got pretty hard for me, and I was falling behind. Our guide Carlos gave me a huge boost by asking me if I wanted to ride a horse for a bit! With not even a moment of prideful stubbornness, I gratefully accepted and hopped on up! I haven’t ridden a horse since I don’t even remember when, so it was pretty thrilling in and of itself. It also gave me the opportunity to really take in the scenery by looking up instead of down. We were winding to the left side of the glaciers on Umantay located beside the glaciers on Salcantay - absolutely stunning. Turns out that the horse carried me for the last 30 minutes or so all the way up to the highest point on our trek (approx. 15,500 feet)! I love horses. :)

After taking a quick video, many photos of the Salcantay glaciers (Salcantay is 20,574 feet tall!), and snacking on cookies and mango juice, it was time to start down the mountain. We walked for about 2 more hours through a foggy moonscape of enormous boulders, bright red rocks, eerie lichens and mosses, and more switchbacks than I could count before reaching our lunch place at Huayrac Pampa. Everyone dropped their packs immediately and took a brief siesta before a yummy and energy-supplying lunch. Then, it was back on the trail for 4 more downhill hours to Chaullay located at 9,514 ft where we camped for the second night. Because the camp was at a much lower elevation, everyone was warm and toasty throughout the night, and the famous Machu Picchu mosquitoes made their first appearance.

The next morning, it was down, down, down for 5 more hours walking next to a beautiful rushing whitewater river the whole way. The change in landscape was amazing, we were soon surrounded by waterfalls and hundreds of flowers, including wild sunflowers, orchids, begonias, and more, and butterflies and hummingbirds too! I took photos and photos and more photos, until I became known as the group naturalist. Problem was, I didn’t know much about what I was looking at, I just liked capturing it all on my camera so I could look it up later! I improvised in my botany knowledge as much as possible :) We also walked through a few tiny villages, and passed several water/soda/beer/snack stands along the way, where smart Peruvians charged a fortune to the thirsty and hungry trekkers...it reminded me of buying chili and hot chocolate on the top of a ski mountain for $20!

After lunch in the town of La Playa (but there was no beach to be found), we took a bus to the camping area at Santa Teresa at 5,413 feet. During the hour long bus ride, in which our bus made its way over a few fallen trees and through two 1 foot-deep rivers, our group could hardly contain our excitement for the evening’s plan...the natural hot thermal baths at Santa Teresa! Oh, as a side note, when we arrived at the campground, we noticed that just across the street from us there were three men skinning a cow and taking it ALL apart, entrails and all (sorry to be so graphic)...we watched in half horror/half curiosity until we couldn’t stand it any longer. Wow. Anyway, back to hot springs...Since the hot springs at Aguas Calientes are known to have a fungus problem, Santa Teresa sounded like a much better alternative! Hot, heavenly water...we soaked for 2 hours until it got dark and we realized that the cold evening temperature was imminent. That night we enjoyed out last evening together at our campsite and prepared to head to civilization in the morning.

By around 10am, we arrived at Hydroelectric Central, en route to Aguas Calientes. Even though we were still pretty far away, Machu Picchu was soon visible for the first time. The buildup of the past several days made this moment very exciting...we had been traveling on a very challenging path day after day, and the destination was now very close! After an early lunch, we waited around for a few hours to take the train to Aguas Calientes where we would spend the evening and get to bed early for Machu Picchu the next morning! Arriving in Aguas Calientes was really startling - it seemed that the town’s very existence served as a resting place for tourists on their way to Machu Picchu, and it made me feel a little strange. Even though Cusco is extremely touristy as well, living with a family has shown me that there is much more to this beautiful city than what most tourists take in. But in Aguas, suddenly things felt different and I felt uncomfortable with my status as just one of the thousands of tourists.

(just one more post to follow!)

last one!

(last one!)

Fortunately, that feeling faded as soon as Angela and I arose at 4:30am to be at Machu Picchu with our group by sunrise. We decided to take the bus up instead of taking a hike, in order to save our energy for the day’s explorations :) Walking into the sanctuary was incredible: I felt like I must be a movie star to be surrounded by such a beautiful set - what normal person gets to be in such a place to witness the day’s first light? The sunrise over the Andes was spectacular, and the sun’s momentum and energy filled me with the same. We were fortunate to have a wonderful two hour guided tour of the citadel of Machu Picchu by Carlos, the same guide we’d hiked with and gotten to know better over the past 4 days. He took us to see the Main Square, the Circular Tower, the Sacred Solar Clock, the Royal Quarters, the temple of the Three Windows and the cemeteries...and that’s just what I remember offhand! When our tour ended, we were situated right next to the entrance to Waynapicchu, the steep mountain pictured in most classic Machu Picchu photographs (google it if you can’t picture it, it’s beautiful!). While some people in our group got in line to hike the mountain (only 400 people are allowed to hike it each day), Angela and I decided that we’d save that for tomorrow, as we had decided to leave our group and spend an extra day at Machu Picchu. Then suddenly, we spotted our friend Libby from language school with her boyfriend in the very same line! It was a really fun reunion, running into someone I knew at Machu Picchu :)

After eating a hamburger at 9:00am since we were starving having gotten up at 4:30 (I know, it sounds gross, but it was perfect!), we spent the rest of the day just wandering around the sites, taking snoozes in the shade, and of course taking lots and lots of photos. The day’s highlight was a walk to Intipunku, the Temple of the Sun. We had run into Tom, another person from our group and the three of us decided to try to get there, even though it looked very far away. About an hour later we were there, and it was so worth it! The view from Intipunku is the classic postcard view of Machu Picchu, and there were just a few other people there, so we had relative solitude. I did my tree yoga pose for a photo (a silly tradition) and we explored around the site a bit. Intipunku is where those who trek up the Inca Trail enter Machu Picchu...I had a brief moment of envy as I pictured what that would be like, then quickly reminded myself that all of those Inca Trail people would never experience Salcantay the way I did. We all have our own unique experiences, one can’t be better than the other!

The next day at Machu Picchu we arrived once again at 6am as the sanctuary opened, and made a beeline for Waynapicchu, the mountain we decided we wanted to climb first thing in the morning before it got hot outside! For those of you who have climbed the Beehive or the Precipice in Acadia National Park, it was like that but harder, steeper, more relentless and more exposed! There were sections of steps that seemed to reach right up to the sky, and we slowly, slowly made our way up and up. As we neared the summit, we saw that it was VERY crowded, like Mt. Monadnock´s summit on a summer Saturday. We picked our way through the crowds, and found a place of our own that looked out to the surrounding mountains, which were bathed in early morning sun and mist. How very special. After descending together, I decided to make my own journey up the tiny peak next to Waynapicchu, and I had the unique opportunity to be totally alone in Machu Picchu for about an hour, since it seems everyone prefers to climb the famous Waynapicchu instead of its tiny, unknown little sister mountain. I did a little journal writing and closed my eyes for awhile...this will be a special memory for me forever.

After such a journey, there is no real need to describe the lengthy trip back to Cusco – we took a train first and then a bus – but I hardly noticed all of the transit, I was still re-living the glory of Salcantay and Machu Picchu. As I reread the descriptions I’ve written they hardly seem satisfactory to me, but perhaps they at least capture a glimpse of the experience, and maybe your imagination can do the rest. I sure hope so.

-katie

ps...photos coming soon, really, for your own benefit I'm still sorting through them all!

What a beautiful Trip Report!

More of an adventure really.

Thank you for sharing, looking forward to photos.

:)

Katie,

Welcome home !!! It was wonderful to live vicariously through your emails and now that you are home, we need to have you and Kevin over for dinner and a photo slideshow. :)

What an amazing adventure you have had. Hugs,

sli74

Hi Katie,

Very entertaining read. Looks like you had a trip of a lifetime. I just saw your pictures of Cusco on webshots and looking forward to seeing Machu Picchu .... I'm hoping you took some? ;)

"I did my tree yoga pose for a photo (a silly tradition) " Great tradition.... keep it up. :)

sounds like a GREAT trip!!!! the first impression i had of peru was, "its a lot colder than i thought it would be." i told my friend who just got there two weeks ago (she's goign to be there for 6 months), "its going to be really cold!!!!!" The first email i got from her stated, "much colder than i thought it would be" and i took a trip back to second grade and told her, "i told you so."

sounds like you had a wonderful time, can't wait to check out your pix. machu picchu is a VERY impressive place. by the time i got there, i really didn't expect to be impressed (especially after WEEKS of altitude sickness), i had seen so many pictures, and i was there so i figured i SHOULD go, but i wasn't dying to see it. when i walked up from aguas calientes in the dark and arrived to an almost empty park, it was breath taking. i didn't expect it to be as amazing as it was. i was definitely surprised with the grandeur of the place!!

we are so lucky to be able to do these things, i'm sure most peruvians haven't even had the opportunity to go there.

i'd love to go back. too bad our jobs really get in the way of our vacationing!

nice tr.

Good stuff Katie! When I am bored at work(happens often), I like to scan trip reports quickly to see if anything can transport me into a nicer, happier place. It really was exciting to read about your journey, and take my mind to a mystical place that did not have 6 foot high cubicle walls. I look forward to viewing the pictures. Thanks for sharing!