Possible for Older hiker to do the Bonds??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjo

Reaction score
As Clint Eastwood said: a man's gotta know his limitations.. :) As The years go by, my interest in hiking doesn't change even with the reality of a bad knee (being improved now with phy theraphy). I've always wanted to do Bondcliff but have realistically ruled it out. I only get to the Whites 2-3 times a year and the knee has held me back to lesser recent hikes like Jefferson, Willard, Sugarloaf, Wesh-Dickey. This year, I plan to do Ike via Edmonds BUT my old yearning has returned. Is there any way to do the Bonds as a dayhike ( I believe its 16-18 miles RT?) for my "mature" body? Any short cuts or other ways to access? I doubt it but would love your input. My other dream would be to do Baxter/Knife Edge but that's another pipedream.. Maybe I need to save my $ and get a helicopter :) Look forward to your thoughts,

You could utilize either of the AMC huts on either side of BondCliff: Galehead or Zealand Falls. The added gear for a hut trip is minimal.

When are you planning to go? Maybe Laurie and I could go with you?

I can't speak to your physical limits but a lot of people older than us climb the Bonds as day hikes. As for Bondcliff, the trail isn't that hard and if you just want to go there and not count it for the AMC 4K, you can bike nearly 3 miles each way.

If you camp you can break it up into two relatively easy days and there are great camping spots off the Bondcliff trail only 6 miles or so into the hike.

Don't forget that the first (and last) 5mi are all along a railbed (Lincoln Woods/Wilderness Tr) and thus very easy. If you continue a bit past the Bondcliff Tr turn-off a bit, the trail crosses the Pemi (on a nice suspension bridge), and into a flat area where one might be able to camp. (I have heard rumors of sites in the area, perhaps someone else can confirm.) Total climb from parking lot to bridge: ~500ft. Makes a nice beginner XC ski route, too. (Only in season, of course... :) )

Doug

Given the kinds of hikes that you have been doing or thinking of, three Bonds in a day seems unreasonable. On the other hand it is quite reasonable to attempt two Bonds (Bond and West Bond) from the huts. There are three ways of doing it: an out and back from either Zealand or Galehead hut, or a traverse between the two. See the section on The Bonds from the Huts on my Bonds page. Only doing Bond itself would give you almost the same views and save about a mile and a couple of hundred feet of elevation gain.

Caveat: Hut trips must be planned long in advance (for reservations) and so you have absolutely no control over the weather that you get. Also the huts are not cheap :(

I feel your pain! As the years go by more and more things that I had planned to do "one day" become impossible. But as long as I can go out and enjoy my beloved mountains I will happily wear my Life is Good t-shirt :) :)

AMC's Boston chapter is planning two separate Bonds trips out of Galehead hut during the first and second weekends of September. As you'll see by looking at Mohamed's website, you get all three Bonds for under 12 miles and about 3600 feet of vertical. (You actually spend almost the entire day above 4000'.) The hooker is that you have to cough up about $160 for two nights at the hut.

I'm running the hike on the first weekend, and the Forty Plus group is running the second weekend's hike. Watch the AMC publications for the trip notices if you're interested.

I don't share the bravado of extremely long dayhikes, which would aggravate any knee or foot problems one might have, preferring to linger longer in the vicinity of the destination. For the Bonds, Zealand and the area, we utiltized Zealand Hut and Guyot shelter for a relaxing,well fed and sociable few days in an area that is too beautiful to rush through. Likewise at Katahdin where some of trips entailed a night at Chimney Pond and I suggest Knife Edge need not be such a pipe dream.

My attitude about peak bagging has come to remind me of that old joke about the young bull and the old bull looking down into a pasture of cows ... ;)

Stan said:
I don't share the bravado of extremely long dayhikes, which would aggravate any knee or foot problems one might have, preferring to linger longer in the vicinity of the destination. For the Bonds, Zealand and the area, we utiltized Zealand Hut and Guyot shelter for a relaxing,well fed and sociable few days in an area that is too beautiful to rush through. Likewise at Katahdin where some of trips entailed a night at Chimney Pond and I suggest Knife Edge need not be such a pipe dream.

My attitude about peak bagging has come to remind me of that old joke about the young bull and the old bull looking down into a pasture of cows ... ;)

Stan good advice. Thanks. I agree,
Now, what's the rest of the joke?? :)

Thanks to all. Very good, helpful advice. Still pondering whether to be optimistic (and plan wisely) OR be realistic and accept lesser goals. Either way, the mountains beckon and I'll be there later this year. :) Well, rushing off to knee therapy w PT. Thanks much, guys..I'll re read these later today

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Given the kinds of hikes that you have been doing or thinking of, three Bonds in a day seems unreasonable. On the other hand it is quite reasonable to attempt two Bonds (Bond and West Bond) from the huts. There are three ways of doing it: an out and back from either Zealand or Galehead hut, or a traverse between the two. See the section on The Bonds from the Huts on my Bonds page.

Myself and a few friends are thinking about doing the "Three Bonds in a Day" and I came across your Bonds page while I was researching the hike earlier this week. Great job with the Bonds page, as well as the rest of the site!

jjo said:
Thanks to all. Very good, helpful advice. Still pondering whether to be optimistic (and plan wisely) OR be realistic and accept lesser goals. Either way, the mountains beckon and I'll be there later this year. :) Well, rushing off to knee therapy w PT. Thanks much, guys..I'll re read these later today

I would say go for it but pace yourself. A 25-30 lb load should be managable on the Wilderness Trail as it is rather gentle. Relax enjoy your surroundings and on day two with a small day pack, essentials of course, hike the 4.4 to Bondcliff. The book says 2650 in gain, the map suggest 400 feet in the first mile and 700 in the second meaning it steepens in the later two miles. But book time is three and a half hours up so with a full day there is no need to push yourself. Camp a second night and hike out on day three. In this way your plan lends itself to three pieces that increase the likelyhood of success. If things become a strain on the way up Bondcliff you can always back out to your campsite without having to face an extended forced march in one big chunk.

The hut option is an excellent one but bear in mind the route with day pack is longer than it would be if you were camping near the start of the Bondcliff Trail. The backpack up to Guyot Campsite with a full pack would likely be too much on tender knees. It is 2400 feet and five miles above Zealand Hut.

AntlerPeak said:
The hut option is an excellent one but bear in mind the route with day pack is longer than it would be if you were camping near the start of the Bondcliff Trail. The backpack up to Guyot Campsite with a full pack would likely be too much on tender knees. It is 2400 feet and five miles above Zealand Hut.
And if you stay at Galehead (3800' or so?), you only *think* you're avoiding elevation gain the 2nd day! :D You have to climb South Twin twice, as well as Guyot twice, and Bond Twice! :eek: Been there, done that, doing it again some day! :D

It's a long trip when healthy & if the knee acted up even a little 8 miles in the retreat would be brutal.

What else are you doing for exercise? Someone who spends a lot of time jogging or biking would be okay with just some hiking time. If 5-8 miles a week walking around town 3X a week is all your doing then it sounds kind of questionable. There are guys in their 60's doing it but I suspect they are out a lot. I know a couple of 50'+ guys doing it & they are fit.

My 02. on a hut trip would be go mid-week out of Galehead, only the descent at the end of the day down South Twin poses as a pain inducer for older joints not ready for the 1100 foot descent in 8/10ths of a mile. Mid -week reservations should be easier to get, for additional savings go during care-taker season.

Last edited:
Tom Rankin said:
You could utilize either of the AMC huts on either side of BondCliff: Galehead or Zealand Falls. The added gear for a hut trip is minimal.

When are you planning to go? Maybe Laurie and I could go with you?

Tom, Thanks. Don't know timing yet. But my wife and I planning one trip to NE in the early fall (after Labor Day). She'll visit w her sister while I try to get in some hiking/. Thanks for the offer. I'll post as time gets closer..

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Given the kinds of hikes that you have been doing or thinking of, three Bonds in a day seems unreasonable. On the other hand it is quite reasonable to attempt two Bonds (Bond and West Bond) from the huts. There are three ways of doing it: an out and back from either Zealand or Galehead hut, or a traverse between the two. See the section on The Bonds from the Huts on my Bonds page. Only doing Bond itself would give you almost the same views and save about a mile and a couple of hundred feet of elevation gain.

Caveat: Hut trips must be planned long in advance (for reservations) and so you have absolutely no control over the weather that you get. Also the huts are not cheap :(

I feel your pain! As the years go by more and more things that I had planned to do "one day" become impossible. But as long as I can go out and enjoy my beloved mountains I will happily wear my Life is Good t-shirt :) :)

Thanks for your comments. Your last para sums it up very well. I also love the mountains but time and distance limit my exposure. Maybe, I'll try to do just Bondcliff.. I'm not doing the 4000 ers just enjoying my limited time in that great place...BTW you have a GREAT website...Thanks for all

I did the three Bonds as a dayhike last summer, and I thought it was pretty easy. Sure, it is a lot of distance to cover, but it is not particularly steep or grueling for any extended stretch (except maybe going from Bondcliff to Bond - which wouldn't apply in this case). I saw lots of "mature-looking" people on the trail that day and they all looked like they were doing fine.

Raymond said:
To bag all three via the Wilderness Trail would be closer to 23 miles, not 16-18. Mohamed's Web site has Bondcliff alone from the Kanc as 18.2 miles, 9.4 of that as pretty flat.

Thanks Raymond...Good summary...Reality is setting in...Maybe too much to bite off for this hobbled hiker..At least for now...Thanks

I agree with Mohammed. There's a point where age/conditioning make certain day hikes unreasonable, and with the frequency of hiking you describe, doing the Bonds in a day may be a bit over the top.

Does age by itself mean you could never do the Bonds in a day? Not at all - in fact, I just came off a strenuous Whitney and Shasta trip. Guess who the fastest hiker in a group ranging from their 30's into their 60's? You guessed it - the oldest hiker. He's no tri-athlete, either. Just hikes more often than the rest of us.