Possible for Older hiker to do the Bonds??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin Rooney said:
I agree with Mohammed. There's a point where age/conditioning make certain day hikes unreasonable, and with the frequency of hiking you describe, doing the Bonds in a day may be a bit over the top.

Does age by itself mean you could never do the Bonds in a day? Not at all - in fact, I just came off a strenuous Whitney and Shasta trip. Guess who the fastest hiker in a group ranging from their 30's into their 60's? You guessed it - the oldest hiker. He's no tri-athlete, either. Just hikes more often than the rest of us.

Kevin....sound advice...I agree . I love those mountains and that's one area I never hiked ( and always wanted to). Prudence may have to rule over desire :) As Clint said: a man's gotta know his limitations.. :) Thanks for post and sage comment. Someday..But maybe this year, Ike via Edmonds

jjo said:
Someday..But maybe this year, Ike via Edmonds
jjo,

Ike via Edmunds is a lovely hike and much easier than what you had planned (6.6 miles round trip, 2,750 feet). It does get you to that wonderful area above treeline.

On the other hand, Pierce plus Ike by Crawford is only a bit more strenuous (9.6 miles, 3,100 feet) and includes a long walk above treeline. In good weather I would describe it as spectacular, compared to merely lovely for Ike alone.

As an older hiker who does try to hike three times a week or so I completely agree with Kevin; training can do a lot to fight the ravages of age. But it is hard work, and does consume a lot of time.

Mohamed Ellozy said:
jjo,

Ike via Edmunds is a lovely hike and much easier than what you had planned (6.6 miles round trip, 2,750 feet). It does get you to that wonderful area above treeline.

On the other hand, Pierce plus Ike by Crawford is only a bit more strenuous (9.6 miles, 3,100 feet) and includes a long walk above treeline. In good weather I would describe it as spectacular, compared to merely lovely for Ike alone.

As an older hiker who does try to hike three times a week or so I completely agree with Kevin; training can do a lot to fight the ravages of age. But it is hard work, and does consume a lot of time.

Mohamed: thanks again. Valuable advice. Now, the question becomes: What would be the most satisfying (spectacular) hike in the Whites given the constraints? I was thinking of Ike via Edmonds because above treeline, relatively easy ascent and I've never hiked it before even though I'm told the view is good/OK but not great. Your comments make sense. Maybe I should think of another modest peak or two for this year??

jjo said:
Maybe I should think of another modest peak or two for this year??
There is nothing quite like an above treeline hike, and by that I do not mean just a peak that has 360 degree views but a walk along a ridge above the trees.

With two cars going up the Ammonusuc Ravine Trail slowly, then over Monroe and along the ridge to Ike, is another spectacular trip (9 miles, 3,350 feet). Of course there is that all time favorite (for a very good reason; it is spectacular) the Franconia Ridge.

Less spectacular but still giving a good feel for the above treeline environment is the hike up Moosilauke by the Glencliff Trail and Carriage Road. If you do that, by all means go up the South Peak, the views are different and it has a much more isolated feeling.

The northern Presidentials involve a good deal more elevation gain, check my site for the numbers and decide whether you think you can do any of them.