Presidential Traverse in Late February?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab2020

Reaction score
Clarksville, MD Avatar: Babo, SE Arete, Summit
Anyone up for the presidential traverse in late february?

I am new to views from the top, but not to hiking or climbing by any means.
I have been rock climbing for 12 years and hiking since forever. My winter experience is two strong seasons of hiking in the adirondack high peaks region between January and March.

I view this as a completely serious undertaking and hope that there may be other people who feel the same way and are interested in hiking it this year. Happy hiking, stay safe, and stay warm.

Best Regards,

Justin
[email protected]

We did the traverse last June a week off of the solstice, and it is was quite the hike, even with maximizing the day light. What you are proposing would be extremely hard with a good chance that much of the trail you would travel would be unbroken and waist deep in snow. It is one thing to climb many of the popular presidential peaks in the winter, but quite another to attempt the traverse.

That being said, I am sure that once I post this someone will chime in with a story of someone doing a winter traverse, but I would bet, most of those out there who are familiar with the white in winter would advise against it.

Hope that helps your thinking process.

Charlie

BTW, we will probably do the traverse again this year around the solstice, those who would like to join us are welcome.

I too have two seasons of winter hiking in the dax. I don't think its enough to prepare me for a full traverse. I am planning a trip up madison and/or adams for the end of February. (pres. day weekend)

My question to you is. How familiar are you with the whites? Have you climbed washington in the summer months? Any of the other peaks? Have you done Marcy in the winter? Do you have knowledge of the avalanche conditions that can occur in the whites? The whites, more specifically the presidentials, are quite an undertaking, especially with the amount of exposure involved. Plan accordingly.

-percious

Presi Traverse Late Feb

I have had a couple responses so far. Do you have any preference as to the timeframe (i.e. how many nights out (0,1,2)?) We have been discussing any one of those three options. Though, just because it is planned as 1 or 2 nights doesnt mean that the weather cant keep us out a third.

Would like to hear more of your thoughts/history to hiking in the whites. Please, email me at [email protected]

Viewpoint on extremes

I am fairly familiar with the whites, I have hiked the peaks around franconia several occasions and washington in warmer weather (but not jefferson, madison, or some of the others in the traverse). I have been training intensively in and out of the gym. I realize this is quite the endeavor and I realize the presence of avalanche danger. I am looking to attempt the traverse, and am prepared for the weather and exposure. I spent 4 years in AZ and have hiked in the rockies. My backcountry climbing experience is extensive, and I believe I am up to the challenge. However, ultimately, I wont know untill i am up there and what the mountains present me with. The whites in one day may be very different from the whites the next. Its the same with any high exposed mtn range.

I have been planning a traverse for two years and it's fallen through both times. I don't think two or three nights are sufficient to stay out of trouble.

If you're planning on going in from Appalchia and coming down Mount Washington, three nights is the minimum, but four need to be planned so that no-one is rushing or descending in dangerous conditions.

I am free from February 26 to March 6.

Doug

Mtn-top said:
BTW, we will probably do the traverse again this year around the solstice, those who would like to join us are welcome.
Charlie, count me in ...
:cool: :cool: :cool:

not sure about the traverse for me - i don't have the time to take off in case unexpected "tent time". I have done most of them (pressies) winter, but never in one shot and I have 5 years of solid winter seaons in the whites. Personally, I don't think I ready for the winter traverse yet. I am planning a summer one this year though.

If your plan falls though - think about basing yourslef at one of the RMC high camps. Gray Knob, etc.. From there, you can have a great few days and hit all of the northern pressies, and if the weather is just right - maybe washington.

I would join you for this type of trip and I do know the trails/routes of the northern peaks (and southern) pretty good.

I am not going to sit here and tell you not to do it, you know the deal and how seroius it is.

But if you don't know those peaks too well, you may have more fun doing the grey knob base camp version!! if you do this let me know - I may join you.

Presi Traverse

0 or 1 night is unrealistic.

Some options I can suggest would be to:

day 1: Park at Lowes Store or Appalachia and hike up to Crag Camp. Drop your packs in the cabin and bag (with approp. gear) Adams. Possibly even Madison if your not too tired. Stay in the cabin over night to avoid setting up camp on night one.

day 2: Tricky day. You can hike to Sphinx Col, bagging Jeff on the way. Set up camp in the Col (carefull, no real good escape route here---just down Sphinx trail which can be dangerous in Winter). This is a short day but if you try for more, by going over Clay and Wash, you can end up in no mans land. With good weather you could hike from Crag to Hermits Lake shelter. However, the next day you have to climb again.

day 3: Hike from Sphinx to Eisenhower and down to Crawford Notch Lodge or hike from Sphinx to Washington and down to Pinkham Notch. Ending at Pinkham is like a "mini traverse" but by no means easy.

Take a days extra fuel and food. Carry no more than 45lbs. Be mentally tough.

Another option is to hike up to Madison on day 1 and camp near the summit. Day 2 shoot for Sphinx Col then so on.

Last edited:
I completely agree with the 2 or 3 nights comment. I would want to be prepared to stay our for 4 or 5. The first person that came to me wanted to do it in a shorter period, but i really dont think those mountains will permit it in retrospect. If conditions permit, than great. Otherwise dont expect it.

I seem to be getting a lot of responses, though am hesitant to set a date, because the weather may change. Why dont we pick a week and see how that works. I think the week starting the weekend of the 12,13 would be the earliest. I need to be back in Buffalo by the 22 or 23. The next day I could leave for the whites would be the 25th and would be willing to hike in early march as well.

Also, I seem to be organizing the discussion at the moment, I would like to learn a little more about those who are interested in the trip. What are you hiking experiences in the whites in the winter? I would like to have an idea of what type of group to expect (i.e. strength, worst temperatures and conditions you camped in, camping above treeline, etc). Please email me at [email protected]

The responses to this posting have been pretty quick. The prospective group could turn out to be quite sizeable, which can be both good and bad. Such circumstances require good organization, efficiency, communication, and leadership from the right people.

Best Regards,
Justin
[email protected]

blacklab2020 said:
I completely agree with the 2 or 3 nights comment. I would want to be prepared to stay our for 4 or 5. The first person that came to me wanted to do it in a shorter period, but i really dont think those mountains will permit it in retrospect. If conditions permit, than great. Otherwise dont expect it.

Inexperienced hikers often look at a map and the relatively short mileage and think this is an easy hike. Wrong!

Last edited:
blueZ said:
Charlie, count me in ...
:cool: :cool: :cool:

We would love to have you, BlueZ. Last year we did a few long hikes as training, one over the Wildcats and Carters, a Tripyramids hike up one slide and down the other, etc., then we started from Appalachia at 4 am and went to it; starting with Madison and working our way down. It was a long day! We were over Jackson and back at Crawford about 8:30. :D :D

As the time gets nearer, I will be in touch.

Charlie

Maybe this is obvious, but it sounds like you have the necessary experience and attitude to complete this traverse. It was hard to tell from your first post, but it seems more obvious the more you post. Good luck with your endeavor.

-percious

percious said:
Maybe this is obvious, but it sounds like you have the necessary experience and attitude to complete this traverse. It was hard to tell from your first post, but it seems more obvious the more you post. Good luck with your endeavor.

-percious
I agree. The whites in winter are very tough and not to be toyed with. You do sound like you have a lot of experience, but a lot of people with good experience have died in the whties in the winter. I would suggest you get to know them well with some long winter hikes through the presidentials in preparation- then plan well and be prepared for the worst. That way you can only be pleasantly surprised!

I too, wish you much luck.

-Charlie

> That being said, I am sure that once I post this someone will chime in with a story of someone doing a winter traverse, but I would bet, most of those out there who are familiar with the white in winter would advise against it.

OK, I have done a winter traverse.

No, I'm not going to advise against it--just know what you are doing, be careful, pick your weather and travel conditions carefully, and be ready to bail if (preferably before) it gets nasty. Not a trip for the inexperienced--people have died on easier trips on the Mt. Washington massif.

We did it S-to-N in 3 days (2 nights). Started below Mt Webster (below Crawford Notch, near Willey slide), crossed the Saco, and climbed a gully on Mt Webster (several pitches of relatively easy ice plus >1000 ft of small boulders) to the summit of Webster. Then followed hiking trails. Camped the first night in the woods somewhere between Mt Jackson and Mt Pierce. Second night near Sphinx Col (on the Great Gulf side--slightly protected from the west winds). Tagged Madison and went down Valley Way.

Don't remember all the details (it was 20+ yrs ago), but I recall we had good weather and travel conditions. I do remember alternating patches of ice/snow and rock (N of Washington?) requiring us to spend a lot of time removing and putting on crampons.

I recommend that non-technical climbers use one of the trails at the south end rather than an ice/rock gully. Trails are also preferable if you descend the south end.

Camping above T-line has its risks and requires adequate snow cover.
We used ice screws for tent pegs at Sphinx Col.

The southern Prezzies have shorter escape routes than the northern Prezzies. S-to-N has the advantage that one can get a high start on the
above T-line portion. N-to-S has other advantages.

Might be worth carrying a GPS (in addition to a map and compass and with someone who knows how to use the GPS) in case of limited visibility. I had also hiked all of the above T-line trails prior to the traverse.

Doug

Last edited:
I'd like to thank everyone for the useful advice. I am still planning on getting up there whether it be the whole or a half traverse. Are there others who are still interested?

Also, I have been following the adirondack accident reports in the winter. I know there is one for north american mountaineering, does anyone remember what its called? I believe it is an annual publication. I would like to look more into that as well and/or something more specific to the whites.

Justin

Winter Presidential Traverse

It's possible that I might be interested. This is something that I've been thinking about doing. It's a lot of time above Tree-line in Winter with Wind chill below zero. The possibility of getting killed, or at least frostbitten is very real. That's something to keep in mind! But with all the proper gear, and training it is doable.

I've attempted several winter Traverses, and been on one successful one.

The main determining factor of whether you will succeed is going to be weather. Sometimes the mountain will allow you to pass, othertimes it just says no. There are certain places, like Edmands Col, where you need to evaluate the weather conditions before you head in. If they turn bad your options are very limited.

I've always attempted this North to South, and used the RMC cabins and shelters as a goal for the first night. I particularly like the Perch as a place for night 1 as it's furtherst south. Gray Knob is nice if you want a warm place to stay and it might facilitate an earlier start for Day 2. It's also possible to camp in Sphinx Col, but the weather must be cooperative.

The second day will take you as far as you can get. It'd be best to get beyond Ike, possibly all the way to Nauman. Don't aim for the Dungeon, beside being a bit of a pit it is only there for Emergency Use, not a planned night out.

Know your escape routes. This is vital, IMO. At all costs avoid heading down into the Great Gulf. The wind will try to push you that way but fight it. Jewel is a great escape route, especially with traffic to the Cog now. Lowe's Path is another obvious one early on, and Ammonoosuc is good if you are past Washington.

It's a crap shoot. I think they work best when your goal is to have fun and spend some time out in the mountains. Don't get hung up on finishing the Traverse, it's all good. Somedays you're the windshield, somedays you're the bug. Try to avoid being the bug.

-dave-

David Metsky said:
Don't aim for the Dungeon, beside being a bit of a pit it is only there for Emergency Use, not a planned night out.

-dave-

On that note, I recently read somewhere, might have been on the AMC website that the Dungeon is actually inaccessible this winter due to some work being done at Lakes so don't even count on it in an emergency . . .

Sounds like quite the undertaking, good luck and be safe.

sli74