Q: Crawford Path up to mt. Washington

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueZ

Reaction score
A winter hike is always in my mind: Hike up to mt. Washington via Crawford Path. I remembered Dr. Wu did this last winter. I'm planning it this month.

Questions: how long will it take to mt. Washington all the way up? I suppose I should bring crampons & snowshoes.

I read some TRs and Trail descripsions of Crawford path. If weather is good, I have a feeling this hike is not very dangerous. I have done "Weberster, Jackson, Pierece loop", "Elks + monroe loop", Mt. "Ammonoosuc + Jewell loop", but all seperately, never done all the south peaks together. The distance of the hike is scaring me. And, it is winter. :(

Is it easier to hike down jewell trail (or Ammonoosuc) to cog railway station, then walk back to the car? I know this is a very long, painful walk... :confused:

Thanks.

Last edited:
The winds and visibility above treeline and distance will be your two biggest issues to consider. Only you can know how you will handle such a distance but given what I remember about the speed of your hiking, you should be fine.

Remember that you are expose from near the summit of Pierce all the way to Washington except for sporadic tree cover between Eisenhower and Monroe.

I would either spot a car, or hitchhike so I could go down Ammo instead of backtracking.

Have fun and be safe.

sli74

I remember hiking up Mt Eisenhower a few winters ago and while I was in the vicinity of the Crawford Path beneath Ike's cone with minimal visibility and the wind howling nearly 60mph, SherpaK and several other hikers appeared out of the mists. It just goes to show you that there is danger just about anywhere in the White Mountains. ;) It can manifest itself in many forms.

JohnL

blue - you have been hiking the pressies for a while - I would pick a nice day, get an early start and you should be fine - we now have daylight until 5;30 or so.

just don't do it when there is 150mph winds up high.

with all the people doing traverses these days - good chance the damn thing might be broken out too! :D

thats about 16 miles right? -

sli74 said:
The winds and visibility above treeline and distance will be your two biggest issues to consider.
Route finding and trail breaking can also be signifcant obstacles on portions of this route, particularly between Pierce and Eisenhower.

Doug

Last edited:
I've hiked up the Crawford Path and down Jewell a couple of summers ago and it took me 6 hours to get to the top of Mt. Washington and another 3 1/2 hours to get down to the Ammo trailhead. That was wearing low-cut hiking shoes and carrying a light pack, and I was just walking at a casual pace but hit all the summits along the way. To do the same hike in snow with winter boots and carrying a heavier pack, it might take a few more hours.

We did some of the rotue in reverse order in December:
http://rbhayes.net/latest/monroe-ike-pierce12-23-05/index.htm

We were on the trail by 7:30 and manged to get back by 4 PM if I recall correctly. Adding in Washington would add a couple more hours.

During the Winter you move at a slower pace, encounter drifting snow, can have visability issues, nad have a heaveir pack.

Suggestions: Start before dawn, spot a car at the cog, do it with a group of experienced folks, check the forecast before you start (the hourly forecst on Weather.Com for Washington if pretty accurate for that day), and most of all - have fun!

blueZ said:
Is it easier to hike down jewell trail (or Ammonoosuc) to cog railway station, then walk back to the car? I know this is a very long, painful walk... :confused:
Thanks.

Hi BlueZ,
From Washington summit I would go down Jewell only if the weather is very nice. Like Bob and Geri, I've done it the North-South way and I didn't go to Washington. We spotted a car at Crawford Notch. It was an all day hike for me but I know you're a much faster hiker than me.

Kevin and Brutus and the brigade did this hike last year I think up Jewell to the summit and then across all the Presidentials at Brutus's pace which is pretty slow and steady and they did it in a day and I think bagged Jackson as well.

Have fun!

I remember climbing via crawford path one July- very gentle trail and easy to follow, though exposed to wind from Pierce on. We turned around at the Lake of the Clouds due to time constraints, I think it was 7 miles to that point. Round trip (back via crawford path) probably took us at least eight hours (no snow, tiny backpack, no changes of gear).

It's a good idea to have more than one alternate route (ideally, more than one car spotted) in case you need to get off the ridge in bad weather. Planning not to take the ridge back makes sense to me. Be advised that the Ammo trail is often rather wet (ie, icy). DEFINITELY bring crampons. And bring snowshoes too: drifts can form really quickly, and there's also the chance you'll find yourself off-trail.

I'd consider doing it North to South, wiind more likely not in your face, C-Path & Edmands better escape routes if needed at the end of the day Vs. Getting to Monroe & thinking Jewell or Ammo. (Ammo steeper & likely more icy, Plus though is youget into cover quicker)

Thanks ...

I really appreiciate all the helpful info. thanks everyone.

I know it is nice to spot another car, hike North to South. I have trouble to find anyone willing to get up so early and drive all the way from Boston. :rolleyes: Maybe I can try hinch hiking. ;)

It is long hike, and I have a feeling the route finding is tricky at some spots according to the info here and my past experience. I hate to get "lost".

I don't mind hiking solo, but it is good feeling to know someone is around in the trail ... sense of security...

I checked weather forecast, this Sunday looks promising. Maybe i will try it. I :D If I do, I'll follow your guys' sugguessions, make it safe.

Thanks again. VFTT is always helpful. Really enjoy reading the posts here. Thanks for the warm hearts and the good info!!! :)

Last edited:
blueZ said:
I really appreiciate all the helpful info. thanks everyone.

I know it is nice to spot another car, hike North to South. I have trouble to find anyone willing to get up so early and drive all the way from Boston. :rolleyes: Maybe I can try hinch hiking. ;)

It is long hike, and I have a feeling the route finding is tricky at some spots according to the info here and my past experience. I hate to get "lost".

I don't mind hiking solo, but it is good feeling to know someone is around in the trail ... sense of security...

I checked weather forecast, this Sunday looks promising. Maybe i will try it. I :D If I do, I'll follow your guys' sugguessions, make it safe.

Thanks again. VFTT is always helpful. Really enjoy reading the posts here. Thanks for the warm hearts and the good info!!! :)

I know his Sunday is booked for this weekend, but if you decide to try this another time drop MtnMagic a line. He is always willing for a challenging hike and he can car spot with ya.

Brian

Jim lombard said:
Kevin and Brutus and the brigade did this hike last year I think up Jewell to the summit and then across all the Presidentials at Brutus's pace which is pretty slow and steady and they did it in a day and I think bagged Jackson as well. Have fun!
Jim - That's right, we did. Normally for a trip like we'd have gone up the Ammo, but at the time we did it last year it was very icy, which is a big consideration for Brutus as his crampons don't always work. Plus, we'd done Jefferson a few days earlier via Jewell and knew exactly the condition of the route.

IIRC, we left the Cog RR parking lot around 8AM, and and were on Washington around 11:30. It was a beautiful day, so we lolled around a bit on the summit, and then headed south. Because conditions were excellent, we were able to make a more or less straight line for Monroe, which saved about 20 minutes. We got the junction on Pierce around 4PM, and since is was Super Bowl Sunday, about half of the group headed down the Crawford while Steven, Cath, Dr. D, Brutus and I headed over to Jackson. I think we back at Highland Center around 6 or 6:30PM. Without Brutus we'd have shaved about 2 hours off the trek.

blueZ - As for route-finding especially if you're solo - I don't want to create impression that finding the trail in winter along this section of the Presi's is easy ... it isn't, but 2 years ago October there was a major trail brushing out thru the scrub and so it's MUCH easier than it had been. There's still one place where I have to watch carefully, and occasionally backtrack. Also - if you're not familiar with Eisenhower and headed south: coming up it's easy to follow along the ridge - the cairns are obvious. It's not quite as obvious heading south if the cairns are rimed - just remember that from the summit cairn/pile of rubble - make a 90 degree left for a few hundred yards and follow the cairns. It will swing around to the right, pitch downhill, and then swing to the left as the trail heads into a patch of scrub. Take your time coming off Eisenhower - parts are steep and glazed, even in a high snow year.

Last edited: