Question about Road Condition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueZ

Reaction score
Hikers, maybe this is a silly question. Is it possible to ride a bike from Base Road Parking to highland center via base road and clition road? if not, how about via Rt. 302? how long will it take? :confused:
Thank you!

Yes, you can bike from the Cog Station to Highbrow Center, via Base Road and Mt. Clinton Road. Sounds like you plan to ascend Crawford Path and loop down Ammonusuc Ravine.

Happy Trails!

Wild guestimate, under an hour if you take the direct, Mt. Clinton Rd route. That road is still officially closed (gated) but bikes can get by. It may be soft. If you take 302, it will be much longer, but you'll probably see moose in that stretch.

Last edited:
Waumbek said:
Wild guestimate, under an hour if you take the direct, Mt. Clinton Rd route. That road is still officially closed (gated) but bikes can get by. It may be soft. If you take 302, it will be much longer, but you'll probably see moose in that stretch.

Thank you, everyone.

one hour is a long ride!!! Just wondering the distance between Cog Railway Base Road Parking and Highland Center by Mt. Clinton Rd.? mabye walking back is another option???

It's somewhere around 5 miles or so, so I'd say bike ride would be 40 tops, unless you are carrying huge pack, consider having leaving at HC with someone so you can ride bare back :rolleyes:

Mike P. said:
It's somewhere around 5 miles or so, so I'd say bike ride would be 40 tops, unless you are carrying huge pack, consider having leaving at HC with someone so you can ride bare back :rolleyes:

Thanks, Mike. 5 miles, so it is about 2 hours walk. much better than hike all the way back from Crawford Path!
:rolleyes:

blueZ said:
Thank you, everyone.

one hour is a long ride!!! Just wondering the distance between Cog Railway Base Road Parking and Highland Center by Mt. Clinton Rd.? mabye walking back is another option???

I would hike back along the ridge, a much better view than either road ;)