Redfield Bushwhack

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashfordite

Reaction score
Has anyone bushwhacked from Lake Tear of the Clouds to the summit of Redfield?

I am planning on hiking Skylight, Gray and Redfield and I was wondering if a bushwhack would be easier than descending to the Uphill leanto and ascending again.

Thanks!

Len

Did it in February of a heavy snow year. We broke a lot of fresh snow going over to Moss pond, but much of the snow covering the trees and blowdown was consolidated below us. It was ferociously difficult to climb the steep, unconsolidated snow directly from the pond to the summit. Harder than the trip from LT to the pond.

Drawing a line and directly connecting the summits of Redfield and Skylight (or from Lake Tear) sure makes it look faster on the map than going all the way around doesn't it?

Everyone will tell you though that's it's (a lot) faster to go around. One winter we set out to do a Redfield to Skylight traverse, got to the top of Redfield, took a look at what lay between us and Skylight and went straight back down the trail and up via Lake Tear and 4 corners.

Thanks Peakbagr!

After further review, would it be better to start the bushwhack from the summit of Skylight?

Len

We did Redfield to Skylight via Moss Pond in 2004. It took 4.5 hours and was mostly a tangled mess all the way with a brief respite at the pond.
In my opinion the easiest travelling between the two summits would be Redfield -> Lake Tear. My second choice would be Skylight summit -> Redfield. Last choice would be Lake Tear -> Redfield.
It's easier to bushwack down than up so start high and end low if possible. In this case however the most difficult part is from Moss Pond to Redfield, that's why I make my second choice route.
One final tip... The route is (was?) flagged (not by me) so if you find the flags it's a lot easier, but it doesn't pass by Moss Pond.

Here's a couple of photos from that trip. The one of Moss Pond gives you an idea of the vegetation nearby.
Redfield to Skylight

Skylight to Redfield

Hi Len.

We made January 12 Marcy-Gray-Skylight-Redfield-Cliff and go down by Flowed Land. :cool:

We made a trip report for this nice hike. ;)

We was in the clouds with few visibility and We used the compass, from the summit of Skylight We started with a berring in direction of the first small summit, passed in the north side of it, stay in the edge, bypassed the second small summit by the north side, stay in the edge passed the col, We take a direct berring to the Redfield summit. The last part was easy in open snow field, stay in the edge to summit Redfield.

Good luck.

If You need more information We will stay disponible.

Pinpin the 3th.

PINPIN JUNIOR said:
Hi Len.

We made January 12 Marcy-Gray-Skylight-Redfield-Cliff and go down by Flowed Land. :cool:
Len, ask him what he did after he had lunch at Flowed Lands.
;)

When we did it, it was pre-Floyd, and it was about 90 min to Moss Pond from Lake Tear. Took us as long or a tad longer to get to the summit from the pond. Huge base of snow covered most of the garbage and we were breaking but not horribly so. I could probably find some pictures. Mostly the tops of the trees were protruding for much of the way, so the winter we did it, didn't matter how horrendous it was down near the ground, we were above it.

Get a winter with a lot of snow, a January thaw and then a lot more snow with freeze-thaw cycles to make the understory hard, and I'd say that Lake Tear to Moss Pond is not that difficult.
Your mileage may vary.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am leaning towards staying on the trails and herd paths. We will keep our options open and evaluate the weather, terrain and time when we reach the summit of Skylight.

Neil, I know that this is a morning stroll for Pin Pin, but it will be a multiday adventure for me. And you are right, it sure looks easy on the map!

Len