Redington via logging roads-2 questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hey,

So I'm planning on picking up the last of my ME 4ks in 10 days or so at the front end of a trip with a couple friends. To tell them when I'll meet them, I need to plan backwards. Two things I don't know are:
1) how much mileage to Redington? I have Mohamed's directions and have heard it's "short" but is it short like 4 hrs RT or 8 hrs RT? I hike reasonably fast when I am not lost.
2) any idea how passable CVR will be with a regular car in 10 days?

Don't even mention the black flies.

Thanks in advance.
Weatherman

IIRC, the hike up from the final parking area was around 1 hour, it's not a long hike. And most of that is on logging road.

The bridges are a big problem on the way in, I'm not sure how the first major bridge after the AT crossing is doing these days. It was pretty sketchy 2 years ago with some fairly major holes. Beyond that, I'd want good ground clearance more than 4wd, though both would be nice.

-dave-

I’m reasonably slow and have twice done it in three hours. It looks to be about 6 or 7 miles and 1500 feet of elevation gain, all easy travel. I don’t know about current road conditions but do a search here and you should find something from last year about the problem bridges. If you have to park short of the last bridge before the AT crossing, it will add less than an hour.

My time on Redington

Maybe this will help, though I'm not one of those who actually writes down hiking times.

I hiked Redington this summer, leaving my house in Shrewsbury Mass (if you know where that is) in the morning, parking right at the AT crossing, and I returned home in time for dinner. I sometimes drive a little speedily, but I don't hike fast.

Does that help at all, or are there too many variables left unspecified?

Last edited:
I've hiked Redington twice starting from the bridge (photo - sept. 04) 1.1 miles from the AT crossing. Both hikes, at a leisurely pace, took a little less than 2 hours to reach the summit and about 1:45 to return to the car.

It's 4 miles from the bridge to the summit. Most of the elevation is gained in the last 2 miles.

From the last bridge it's @ 8 miles round trip. But it's BORING! Grab the two Crockers at the same time and do the bushwack from South Crocker to Redington. Total distance for the day if you return via the logging road is 10 miles. Less if you return via the Bushwack as well, which we wish we had done.

See our trip report from last Labor Day:
http://rbhayes.net/laborday.html

Well, I've climbed both Crockers already and will be solo on a weekday, so I'll opt for the fast boring route. Sounds like it would be just great on skis. And Tramper, "morning" has multiple meanings ... for some, any number preceded by "AM" would qualify. :)
Thanks all. 8 fast miles RT sounds like it.

From what I remember, the road is pretty sandy/gravelly and not very muddy.

Weatherman

Weatherman: be sure to go LEFT at the first fork after the bad bridge. If not, your 8 mile quick trip will turn into a lot longer one than that. At the next intersection, you will see a bridge on your left as you reach Caribou Valley. Head right uphill until you see a cairn. From there, follow the road uphill and Mohamed's directions. This is the easiest 4K in New England. You'll either love Caribou Valley, or hate it. Just close your eyes on Redington summit as it is one ugly spot, though it is a very nice spot to lounge with friends;)

OK, so...

Then I park 1.1 miles after AT crossing, start hiking, take left fork immediately which parallels the river. Scary bridge is almost immediate, then stay left at fork very close after that. Then go a mile, follow right branch according to Mohamed, etc. Correct? Thanks.

Easier than Hale? Wow. That one only took me about 2.5 hours RT.