Replacement bridge on Mt Pemi Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohamed Ellozy

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure whether this has been reported, but the bridge at the start of the Mt Pemi trail has cracked, and a replacement bridge has been built a few feet away:

2013-12-04.jpg

I saw that a couple weeks ago. I was wondering how long lasting it was intended to be.

I am sure it will work just fine until winter covers it in ice, or the next flood comes down the brook. Naaahh, never happen here...

Was there today - it definitely feels temporary. My first reaction was "why didn't they just throw this where the old bridge was"? (which rotted through, it wasn't washed away). I then noticed that it is actually in 2 sections, with a center support midstream.

I can't believe anyone thinks this will last very long. I don't know when the old bridge failed but they probably need to cut 2 trees to form the span, and would prefer to wait until Spring to do the work.

I have noticed this use of 4x4x8' for stringers 3 wide for bog bridges on the Pemi Trail near Lafayette Campground, which is in the same state park. Suffice it to say the state park people work with very tight budgets, and the costs for materials are predictable and pretty low for what you are getting. If the are planning to replace the old one with native stringers then they do have to wait til next April for the bark to be full of sap and easily peelable. I have seen floods take bridges, as most of us have. The old bridge looks to be on a good high site, worth replacing where it is.

I was going to ask if that bridge is on the Mt. Pemigewasset trail that leaves from the visitors center?. The title says Mt. Pemi ?.
As you know Trailwrights has been working on that trail and for some reason that spot does not look familiar. Getting too old I guess.
Anyway, we have taken out two of the old bridges that were broken down and not even needed and built up the treadway and step stones installed. So far all have held up fine. One I believe is still left. Maybe that is the one. It does not appear to be the same approach as in the left picture. It was stable this last summer and the last spot we decided was a good fiord location and just improving it when dry.
The location in the right picture looks also like a good fiord location. Is the lumber pressure treated or plain lumber ?. I agree with Creag and TJS Name. Spring will be a challenge. Other than loosing it in high water it looks well done.

I was going to ask if that bridge is on the Mt. Pemigewasset trail that leaves from the visitors center?. The title says Mt. Pemi ?.
As you know Trailwrights has been working on that trail and for some reason that spot does not look familiar. Getting too old I guess.
Anyway, we have taken out two of the old bridges that were broken down and not even needed and built up the treadway and step stones installed. So far all have held up fine. One I believe is still left. Maybe that is the one. It does not appear to be the same approach as in the left picture. It was stable this last summer and the last spot we decided was a good fiord location and just improving it when dry.
The location in the right picture looks also like a good fiord location. Is the lumber pressure treated or plain lumber ?. I agree with Creag and TJS Name. Spring will be a challenge. Other than loosing it in high water it looks well done.

First crossing after RT 3 after leaving the flume lot. Looked like untreated 4x4's.

Last edited:
Thanks Mohamed: The picture of the logs etc. fooled me I did not see any decking or hand rail pcs. anywhere in the pic. I guess it was completely washed away.
Hal

I think the handrails are stacked in the underpass, maybe to be reused when they rebuild the bridge. The current bridge looks to me, as to many others, very temporary.

Thanks Mohamed: The picture of the logs etc. fooled me I did not see any decking or hand rail pcs. anywhere in the pic. I guess it was completely washed away.
Hal

Wasn't washed away at all. One of the stringers completed rotted out and collapsed. The decking, etc. is stashed in the tunnel.

It was like that Nov 9th. The "replacement" looked pretty well worn and had been there a while, unless it was created with parts of the old bridge.